cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Creo Toolkit (C) vs Creo Object Toolkit (C++)

lhoogeveen
17-Peridot

Creo Toolkit (C) vs Creo Object Toolkit (C++)

Are people using Object Toolkit (C++)? We have several Creo custom utilities written with Toolkit (C), but I was curious if other developers have switched to using Object Toolkit (C++) when possible.

Here's my current understanding of the 2 APIs:

Toolkit (C) Pros:

• The API wizard HTML is great (<creo_loadpoint>\Common Files\protoolkit\protkdoc\index.html)
    • Ability to search for API commands and to click on hyperlinks for more information.
    • Easy to find example code on many of the older APIs (sadly many of the newer Toolkit (C) APIs don’t have example code).
  • I believe Toolkit (C) has more API commands than Object Toolkit (C++).
  • Can still use C++ code with the Toolkit (C) code.

Toolkit (C) Cons:

• Strings are overcomplicated. (char vs wchar_t, ProLine, ProName, ProMdlName, etc.).
    • If PTC changes the length of a string (ex: ProName (32) to ProMdlName (180)) then you may have to make updates your code.
  • Memory management – need to allocate and free memory. Can lead to application crashing if done wrong.
  • Not object based which can lead to more verbose code. Example:
    • ProMdl pro_mdl;
      pro_error = ProMdlCurrentGet(&pro_mdl);
      ProMdlName pro_ wszMdlName;
      pro_error = ProMdlMdlnameGet(pro_mdl, pro_wszMdlName);
  • Error handling is done using ProError vs more modern Try Catch. (ProError isn’t bad once you get used to it.)

Object Toolkit (C++) Pros:

• Object based - getting additional attributes or commands is easier. Example:
    • xstring wCurrentModelName = wSession->GetCurrentModel()->GetFileName();
  • Error handling with Try Catch
    • Hopefully easier to prevent applications from crashing
  • Strings should be easier since API’s use xstring and xrstring.

Object Toolkit (C++) Potential Cons:

• Not all Toolkit (C) commands are have an equivalent in Object Toolkit (C++)?
    • For example: I don’t see Object Toolkit (C++) equivalents for Toolkit (C)  ProAsmcompEmbed, ProMdlIsEmbeddedName, ProMdlIsEmbeddedName. This would likely mean you have to mix Toolkit (C) and Object Toolkit (C++) commands.
  • Where to search/find example code?
    • Creo 11’s new online API wizard seems promising but still doesn’t appear to have example code mixed in. https://support.ptc.com/help/creo_toolkit/otk_cpp_pma/r11.0/usascii/
    •  <creo_loadpoint>\Common Files\otk_cpp_doc\objecttoolkit_Creo\index.html does not have example code that I see.
    • It’s tedious to search through all the files in “Common Files\otk\otk_cpp”. Fortunately, Notepad++ allows you to search multiple files.
  • Licensing concerns?
    • It looks like if you have a Toolkit developer license you also get an Object Toolkit developer license. https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS125183
    • I’m not aware of there being a Runtime license for Object Toolkit (C++) (aka a license for each user of the custom application). I found this article for Object Toolkit Java but nothing on Object Toolkit (C++) - https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS190307. I would definitely not use it if there was a runtime license.
  • There’s still no C#/.net API for Creo. This would be my preferred language for an API since Creo only runs on Windows.

Seems like PTC still gives primary support to Toolkit (C). If primary would be Object Toolkit (C++) (not having to revert to Toolkit and easier to find code examples), then switching to Object Toolkit would have very few cons other than investing the time to convert/test. This could happen slowly since Toolkit and Object Toolkit commands can be mixed.

1 REPLY 1
JB_87049
15-Moonstone
(To:lhoogeveen)

I prefer ProToolkit as I prefer C.
I would love to see a Creo version that runs on Linux. The last version that did ran was WildFire 3.

Top Tags