cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Custom Bom Balloons - Default BOM balloon symbol not present in the drawing

ptc-108889
6-Contributor

Custom Bom Balloons - Default BOM balloon symbol not present in the drawing

Hello,

I am looking to use custom bom balloons by default. I know how to change the bom balloons (Table-Properties-Type), however I want my format (.frm) to use my custom bom balloons by default.

I found the setting default_bom_balloon_type but when I create a new drawing from my format I get the "message Default BOM balloon symbol XXX is not present in the drawing. Creating BOM balloons of 'Simple' type instead."

Does anyone know how to solve that? I tried putting my custom bom balloon symbol in several different folders but it does not look like CREO searches for it. It looks it has to be embedded in the drawing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

My default balloon type for bill of materials is set in my "drwsetup.dtl" file using the following line:

default_bom_balloon_type  quantity_split_circle

Do you have such a settings file? I use it to set a lot of things I don't want to have to change every time I start a new drawing (fonts, text size, arrow size, etc.) I've had this file for a long time, but if I recall correctly, I was able to create it by setting up a drawing the way I liked it, then saving the options from within that drawing to a file.

I think you can have this file in your "Start In" directory for Creo and it will find it (?), but to be sure I have a line in my config.pro that specifies:

drawing_setup_file              c:\ptc\DefaultFiles\drwsetup.dtl

which is the directory where I keep such files.

Hope this helps...

@ptc-108889 wrote:

Hello,

I am looking to use custom bom balloons by default. I know how to change the bom balloons (Table-Properties-Type), however I want my format (.frm) to use my custom bom balloons by default.

I found the setting default_bom_balloon_type but when I create a new drawing from my format I get the "message Default BOM balloon symbol XXX is not present in the drawing. Creating BOM balloons of 'Simple' type instead."

Does anyone know how to solve that? I tried putting my custom bom balloon symbol in several different folders but it does not look like CREO searches for it. It looks it has to be embedded in the drawing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi,

custom bom balloons implementation has one weakness. You must place custom symbol into drawing manually (the symbol is copied into drw file). Immediatelly you can remove it (the symbol disappears from the sheet but its definition retains in drw file).

After finishing the above mentioned "initialization" Creo will use the symbol for BOM Balloons displaying.

NOTE: If you use drawing templates then you can put the symbol in it using the above mentioned procedure.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags