cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Eliminating Linker Warnings with OTK C++

MarkStallard
3-Visitor

Eliminating Linker Warnings with OTK C++

I revisited the sample OTK C++ program named otk_install, which I hadn't looked at in about 2 years. I discovered, once again, that I couldn't build a DLL without provoking linker warnings 4049 and 4217. It's not just one or two of these warnings, either; I received 104 warnings for the tiny amount of code in otk_install.

PTC seems to be aware of this problem, because their OTK C++ make files include these linker options:

/ignore:4049 /ignore:4219 /ignore:4217

I haven't been able to do better. All of my current code that uses OTK C++ also includes these options.

I don't like suppressing warnings. When you do that, you don't know whether the warning is happening only once or a thousand times. I nearly always believe that there will be consequences one day for hiding the warnings instead of addressing them.

Microsoft states that these warnings carry only a (presumably minor) performance impact:

Although the final generated code will behave correctly, the code generated to call the imported function is less efficient than calling the function directly.

...but given that I received 104 instances of these warnings, I have to assume that there could be as many (or more) invocations of the affected functions.

I have noticed these warnings when building DLL's, but not EXE's. Of course, I use DLLs for my synchronous applications.

Has anyone successfully built a DLL in OTK C++ without provoking these warnings?

|+|  M a r k  |+|

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
FV
17-Peridot
17-Peridot
(To:MarkStallard)

Hi all,

Mark, to my knowledge, OTK classes quite often are wrappers for Pro/Toolkit C style functions. C and C++ approach to import/export of symbols is not the same, hence the warnings.  In ideal world OTK would be a nice and shinny, pure C++, C14 compatible set of libraries with no warnings whatsoever...

Feliks.

MarkStallard
3-Visitor
(To:FV)

Feliks -

This, by itself, should not be a problem:

Feliks Veysman wrote:

Mark, to my knowledge, OTK classes quite often are wrappers for Pro/Toolkit C style functions. C and C++ approach to import/export of symbols is not the same, hence the warnings.

I have also written C++ wrapper methods to call Pro/Toolkit functions, but I never got these warnings.

I dug a little further into these warnings and found that, for the otk_install example, all the LNK4049 and LNK4217 warnings were caused by the OTK C++ xstring class. I attached the otk_install warnings to this post. Importing these 25 methods caused the 109 warnings in that file:

private: char const * __cdecl xstring::CastToCString(void)const

private: wchar_t const * __cdecl xstring::CastToCWString(void)const

public: __cdecl xstring::~xstring(void)

public: __cdecl xstring::operator char const *(void)const

public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(char const *)

public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(char const *,char const *)

public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(char const *,int)

public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(class xstring const &)

public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(void)

public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(wchar_t const *)

public: bool __cdecl xstring::IsEmpty(void)const

public: bool __cdecl xstring::Match(char const *)const

public: bool __cdecl xstring::Match(class xstring const &)const

public: bool __cdecl xstring::ToInt(int *)const

public: class xstring & __cdecl xstring::operator+=(char const *)

public: class xstring & __cdecl xstring::operator+=(char)

public: class xstring & __cdecl xstring::operator+=(class xstring const &)

public: class xstring & __cdecl xstring::operator=(char const *)

public: class xstring & __cdecl xstring::operator=(class xstring const &)

public: class xstring __cdecl xstring::Substring(int,int)const

public: class xstring __cdecl xstring::ToLower(void)const

public: int __cdecl xstring::GetLength(void)const

public: int __cdecl xstring::Pos(char const *)const

public: static class xstring __cdecl xstring::Printf(char const *,...)

public: struct __xstring_c __cdecl xstring::getxstring_c(void)const

There may be other OTK C++ classes that cause these problems. It would help if PTC eliminated these warnings from fundamental classes like xstring.

In ideal world OTK would be a nice and shinny, pure C++, C14 compatible set of libraries with no warnings whatsoever...

Well, if OTK C++ used std::string and std::wstring in place of xstring, that would eliminate the warnings I just mentioned!

|+|  M a r k  |+|

sully7
13-Aquamarine

Just chiming in - I've seen the same warnings. I agree completely... I really don't like having to suppress warnings, especially because I personally like to use the "treat warnings as errors" option in Visual studio.

My temporary solution: I created a separate property sheet in visual studio to enable the OTK libraries, add the header directories, and remove the linker warnings.

Also, +1 for this:

In ideal world OTK would be a nice and shinny, pure C++, C14 compatible set of libraries with no warnings whatsoever...

President & Founder
CadActive Technologies - www.cadactive.com

James -

Thanks for your reply. I didn't recognize the term property sheets at first. I searched my notes and discovered that it had been two years since I looked at property sheets - that was during the first time I tested OTK C++ sample code. (By the way, Microsoft OneNote is a terrific application for remembering arcane information like this).

James Sullivan wrote:

My temporary solution: I created a separate property sheet in visual studio to enable the OTK libraries, add the header directories, and remove the linker warnings.

I'd like this solution if it allowed me to say "ignore all LNK4049 and LNK4217 related to class xstring", but I don't believe that's what it accomplishes. Unless I'm mistaken, I can only suppress these warnings across the entire project, including warnings caused entirely by my own code.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

HI could you help to design a simple cube on creo using J-link.

and retreving parameter and relations from the assembly or drawing part using J-link.If possible please provide me the i will be very much thankfull to you.

FV
17-Peridot
17-Peridot

Hi all,

Back to the linker warnings.

Mark is correct - warnings had nothing to do with mixing C and C++ calls.

Microsoft has an explanation for LNK4049 :

Linker Tools Warning LNK4049

I had tried to follow Microsoft recommendations and this is what I'm guessing is happening.

I had dumped symbols out of otk_cpp.lib and sure thing for  xstring::xstring(...) there were a number of symbols with dllimport  and without dllimport, so when we are trying to link with otk_cpp.lib the linker is quite confused while parsing otk_cpp.lib. The answer the linker is trying to figure out if xstring::xstring defined locally in otk_cpp.lib why there was a number of dllimport(s) in the same library and this generates warnings.

Here is an example of dumpbin:

866 00000000 UNDEF  notype       External     | __imp_??0xstring@@QEAA@PEBD@Z (__declspec(dllimport) public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(char const *))

3372 00000000 UNDEF  notype       External     | __imp_??0xstring@@QEAA@XZ (__declspec(dllimport) public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(void))

3373 00000000 UNDEF  notype       External     | __imp_??0xstring@@QEAA@AEBV0@@Z (__declspec(dllimport) public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(class xstring const &))

3375 00000000 UNDEF  notype       External     | __imp_??0xstring@@QEAA@PEBD@Z (__declspec(dllimport) public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(char const *))

3376 00000000 UNDEF  notype       External     | __imp_??0xstring@@QEAA@PEB_W@Z (__declspec(dllimport) public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(wchar_t const *))

844 00000000 SECT146 notype ()    External    | ??0xstring@@QEAA@XZ (public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(void))

845 00000000 SECT130 notype ()    External    | ??0xstring@@QEAA@AEBV0@@Z (public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(class xstring const &))

846 00000000 SECT124 notype ()    External    | ??0xstring@@QEAA@$$QEAV0@@Z (public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(class xstring &&))

848 00000000 SECT12E notype ()    External    | ??0xstring@@QEAA@AEBU__xstring_c@@_N@Z (public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(struct __xstring_c const &,bool))

849 00000000 SECT138 notype ()    External    | ??0xstring@@QEAA@PEBD@Z (public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(char const *))

84A 00000000 SECT140 notype ()    External    | ??0xstring@@QEAA@PEB_W@Z (public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(wchar_t const *))

84B 00000000 SECT136 notype ()    External    | ??0xstring@@QEAA@PEBD0@Z (public: __cdecl xstring::xstring(char const *,char const *))

Top Tags