cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Future of TOOLKIT

BobMonat
1-Newbie

Future of TOOLKIT

Piling on Andreas' questions.

Does anyone know the future of Creo Parametric Toolkit (formerly known as Pro/TOOLKIT)?

At one point, PTC (Bipin Kochar) said as of Creo Parametric 6, Creo Parametric Toolkit would be replaced by Object Toolkit. After taking over, Mark Fischer said that was no longer the situation.

Thanks for any update.

Bob Monat

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Bob,

This is a great question.  Let me try to answer it for you.

PTC offers and supports a number of Toolkit libraries - Creo Toolkit (C), Creo Object Toolkit (C++) and Creo Java Object Toolkit.  We have no plans to retire any of these Toolkit libraries.  Therefore, one will not be replaced by another......so customers and partners can continue to develop their applications with the desired library.  Putting Java Object Toolkit aside, any new function in a future release will be delivered in the Creo Object Toolkit Library.  It WILL NOT be added to the traditional Creo Toolkit.  In addition, in each future release, we are looking to provide equivalent functions in Creo Object Toolkit that are found in Creo Toolkit.  Our goal is to have more customers/partners transition to Creo Object Toolkit over time.  It is our belief that, Creo Object Toolkit will provide a better environment for you to develop your applications.  

So to answer your question, we will not replace Creo Toolkit with Creo object Toolkit in Creo 6.0.  You might find you will use both together if you have existing applications that leverage Creo Toolkit, but need new functions from Object Toolkit.  Note: you cannot call the same function from both libraries.....you would only be able to call one or the other. 

It would also be beneficial to use the Toolkit Utility to help determine those API's that might have been deprecated in your code and replace them with the replaced function. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

what about the Free edition (pfc*) of the object toolkit, will it get expanded in the future or will it remain largely as-is?

i've also heard something about new languages for the OTK, any news here?

AC_aelliott
6-Contributor
(To:rmcboaty)

I am also interested in the possibility of leveraging additional language bindings for OTK (.NET specifically).  Has there been any update regarding this topic?....or any updated overview of the API strategy recently?

I'm currently starting to invest in creating Creo Toolkit (C) applications for Creo 4.0.
Since I'm only starting know, I would like to know if there is a better road to be.

• Should I jump to Creo Object Toolkit (C++)?
  • At Creo 4.0, does the Creo Object Toolkit (C++) match all Creo Toolkit (C) functionalities?

I program in both C and C++.
I'm currently using Toolkit with Creo 6.0.5.0
For CAD and CNC related stuff, I prefer C.

@mfischer wrote:

Putting Java Object Toolkit aside, any new function in a future release will be delivered in the Creo Object Toolkit Library....

Regards,

Mark

Hello,
Why Java OTK was "putting aside"? That is mean that all new functions added to C++ OTK not necessary will be in Java OTK?

Just want to clarify...

JB_87049
15-Moonstone
(To:YaroslavSin)

As I understand it new functionality will be added to the Java library and to Creo Object Toolkit.
New functionality will no longer be added to Creo Toolkit.
What interests me is the reasoning behind this decision.

Top Tags