cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to export a PART with all relevant metadata from Creo Parametric

AK_9776674
8-Gravel

How to export a PART with all relevant metadata from Creo Parametric

Hello,

I am new to Creo parametric. I have a requirement where I want to export a part/assembly/drawing from Creo Parametric to an external file(s), which in turn will be stored in some vault. I want to be able to import the file(s) back to creo parametric from the vault and get the part/assembly/drawing details same as it was originally, without any loss of information.

I have tried exporting the part file to Creo View format. But the when I try to import it back, some features in the model tree are missing. I am keeping the default import and export profile options. I have attached screenshots of the import and export profile options, original part and the re-imported part.

Is there any import options that need to be set or changed to reconstruct the part from exported file exactly as the original? Or is there any other format or method to achieve this?

Thanks,

Apoorva

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:AK_9776674)

If you want the Creo file stored and then be able to import it back in, you need to export the actual Creo file, not the CreoView images.

What we used to do was a SaveAs Backup copy of the drawing. This will get the drawing, the assembly (and components) or part. Do that to a clean folder on your system. Do make it easier to move the file, then ZIP tha folder that contains all of the drawing and model files. Create  new folders for every drawing you want saved.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@AK_9776674 wrote:

Hello,

I am new to Creo parametric. I have a requirement where I want to export a part/assembly/drawing from Creo Parametric to an external file(s), which in turn will be stored in some vault. I want to be able to import the file(s) back to creo parametric from the vault and get the part/assembly/drawing details same as it was originally, without any loss of information.

I have tried exporting the part file to Creo View format. But the when I try to import it back, some features in the model tree are missing. I am keeping the default import and export profile options. I have attached screenshots of the import and export profile options, original part and the re-imported part.

Is there any import options that need to be set or changed to reconstruct the part from exported file exactly as the original? Or is there any other format or method to achieve this?

Thanks,

Apoorva

Hi,

if you want to open stored files in Creo in the future, then store Creo files, too. It does not make any sense to export/import files.

Martin Hanák
JB_87049
15-Moonstone

Hi,

From the screenshots you provided, I guess you are interested in retaining the individual features.
This is not what the option "geometry" is about.
"Geometry" means exactly what it says, namely geometry (parametric curves, parametric surfaces) and not a tessellated format (e.g. a model build with only triangles). It doesn't matter whether you use Creo View formats or STEP formats (no matter what AP), they will only retain a "geometry" description of the model.
The only way to retain the individual features is to keep the original model.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If you want the Creo file stored and then be able to import it back in, you need to export the actual Creo file, not the CreoView images.

What we used to do was a SaveAs Backup copy of the drawing. This will get the drawing, the assembly (and components) or part. Do that to a clean folder on your system. Do make it easier to move the file, then ZIP tha folder that contains all of the drawing and model files. Create  new folders for every drawing you want saved.

Top Tags