cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Is there a script to update a model's CAD version?

kschoonover-3
4-Participant

Is there a script to update a model's CAD version?

We have some old Pro/E Wildfire and earlier models in our Windchill PDMLink system and it is causing issues.  Has anyone developed a tool that can read a list of files in Windchill, check them out to a workspace, open them in Creo 3.0, “plus” them, and check them back in automatically?

3 REPLIES 3

We have a lot of models that were created in lots of versions of Pro/E, some as far back or further than Pro/E 2001. When you open them up in the latest Creo, it just opens them. Old style features are not updated to the latest (in particular, I notice rounds, cut/protrude, toroidal bend, etc.) In fact, often, when you go to "edit definition" on one of these, it will bring up the old style of menu to do so. Probably has to do with the data requirements of the old feature differing from the current one.

The problem isn't with Creo directly, it's with the building of the associated wtpart structures.  Windchill seems to have difficulty reading the correct structure information from those older files and the CAD BOM and Part BOM are always out-of-sync.  The only solution seems to be to update the CAD - thus why I posted the question here instead of on the Windchill communities - and PTC says to write a custom script (toolkit/VB/J-Link) for Creo.  I can't believe this hasn't impacted someone else.

Hello Kevin,

On the Creo end, can you make use of batch processing?

The Task Groups in ptcdbatch.bat offer for example "SAVE MODEL with Display" or "Run a mapkey defined in a config.pro" and the Objects you select for your tasks, can be from a workspace.

This would only leave you the task to check out the files from the list to the workspace and later to check in the modified files from workspace.

Regards,

Gunter

Top Tags