cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass attribute relations

SOLVED
Highlighted

Mass attribute relations

I am investigating using Mass properties from Creo in Windchill, at the start of a project we want to use the calculated mass, then as we get real parts and weigh them, we want to enter this into the Alternate Mass PRO_MP_ALT_MASS and use that in Windchill, but we don't want to have 2 different mass attributes on each CAD document as we want to compare CAD mass (calculated or alternate) to an target mass attribute in the WT part.

So I have created a new parameter called "MASS" and I want this parameter to equal the value of PRO_MP_MASS or the value of PRO_MP_ALT_MASS but only if it does not equal zero.

I struggling to write this and get it to work in Relations, can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Mass attribute relations

This worked for me:

if pro_mp_alt_mass <> 0
weight = pro_mp_alt_mass
else
weight=pro_mp_mass
endif

The key is to have the pro_mp_alt_mass value entered for your part. If it is blank, then the relations fail.

Add pro_mp_alt_mass to your model tree and then enter the value. I tested it with both a 0.0 and a positive value, 7.25, for my test part.

20 REPLIES 20

I don't know if you're having difficulties because you're trying to use built-in things like PRO_MP_MASS, but the relations code should be relatively simple, something like:

MASS = PRO_MP_MASS
IF PRO_MP_ALT_MASS > 0.0
  MASS = PRO_MP_ALT_MASS
ENDIF

If I try to verify with neither parameters having a value I get the following errors:

MASS = PRO_MP_MASS
errorInvalid data type combination at right side of expression
IF PRO_MP_ALT_MASS > 0.0
errorLeft and right sides are incompatible
  MASS = PRO_MP_ALT_MASS
ENDIF

Does it need to check the parameters are not null before the If statement? 

Try seeing if the parameter exists first.

IF EXISTS("PRO_MP_MASS")
   /* Do Stuff
ENDIF

http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/#page/fundamentals%2Ffundamentals%2Ffund_seven_sub...

Do you have the parameter MASS already created?

Hi Ben, yes I already have the MASS parameter created, I have tried the "if exists" method but I still get errors, I think perhaps although both parameters (PRO_MP_MASS & PRO_MP_ALT_MASS) exist in the template they don't have a value, so my relation is trying to set MASS equal to a null value.

This worked for me:

if pro_mp_alt_mass <> 0
weight = pro_mp_alt_mass
else
weight=pro_mp_mass
endif

The key is to have the pro_mp_alt_mass value entered for your part. If it is blank, then the relations fail.

Add pro_mp_alt_mass to your model tree and then enter the value. I tested it with both a 0.0 and a positive value, 7.25, for my test part.

Yes that worked for me, I left the density as default (1.0) and calculated mass properties which gave PRO_MP_MASS a value of 0.0, then I manually gave PRO_MP_ALT_MASS a value of 0.0. I will have to save the template in this state.

Out of interest is there anyway to check for parameters with null value?

A parameter can't be null.  If it exists it will have a value.  String parameters will be empty strings "" and real values will default to zero.

The If Exists, at least in this context,  does not work because the parameter does exist as it is a system parameter.

I have not found a way to check if the pro_mp_alt_mass parameter is blank and act upon that information. I have only gotten results if I set pro_mp_alt_mass to some value.