cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Thumbnail Viewer Crashing Windows Explorer

LouGeier
1-Newbie

Thumbnail Viewer Crashing Windows Explorer

I am having some issues with the Thumbnail Viewer in Windows 7 64-bit.

Steps:

1. Install the Thumbnail Viewer

2. Navigate to a folder with Pro/E files

3. Have the folder open for 3+ minutes

4. Click on one of the Pro/E files

5. Explorer Crashes

This process is 100% reproducable and only occurs when the preview pane is open. It would be very helpful if anyone could shed some insight on to why this is happening or if you have a solution.

Heres an event log:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16768, time stamp: 0x4d688122
Faulting module name: thumbplug.dll, version: 28.0.2011.80, time stamp: 0x4d8e87dd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000299cda
Faulting process id: 0xbb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc19571187733f
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\thumbplug.dll

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11

Having exact same problem on some 64 bit Windows 7 boxes:

Common icons displayed for all Pro/E file types initial versions of Pro/E file types. Latest version (ie, is a series prt.1, prt.2, prt.3, the prt.3 is the latest version) displays a small thumbnail graphic of the actual file contents in the Windows Explorer – Name column. This unique thumbnail graphic is also displayed across the bottom of the Windows Explorer window along with metadata (ie, Date, Size, File type). This failure occurs when selecting a specific Pro/E file in Windows Explorer, opening a folder containing Pro/E files in Windows Explorer, or dragging Pro/E files and folders to other locations in Windows Explorer. Failure is manifested by error message requesting to close Windows Explorer. Upon acceptance, all Windows Explorer browsers are terminated. This failure can happen repetitively whenever the Windows Explorer is navigated back to folder containing Pro/E files.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Pro/ENGINEER Thumbnail Viewer 1.0 with no success.

Tried switching view types (Icons, List, Details, Tiles, Content) and turning off/on preview pane in Windows Explorer with no success.

As this failure can occur repeatedly on certain machines and negatively impact engineering, we have temporarily uninstalled the Pro/ENGINEER Thumbnail Viewer 1.0 on machines exhibiting this issue; however, user is asked to reinstall everytime Pro/E is launched.

Opened PTC Case C10274132 awhile back but no solution to date.

Lou,

if you don't use Thumbnail Viewer functionality then you can uninstall Thumbnail Viewer and set config.pro option startup_check_for_visualization no

Martin

Martin Hanák

I do wish to use the Thumbnail Viewer functionality though.

Lou,

I have been told by my IT department to delete 'thumbplug.dll' from my computer. This has worked for us.

File location: C:\Windows\system32\thumbplug.dll

Dave

Philippe,

I can't see any solution in CS23709 . SPR is still open...

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
KrisR
1-Newbie
(To:LouGeier)

Where is the link to download Thumbnail Viewer? I'd like to have that functionality myself!

LouGeier
1-Newbie
(To:KrisR)

There is an option to install it during the Pro/e and Creo installs. Its a check box towards the end.

KrisR
1-Newbie
(To:LouGeier)

Fabulous....and IT department request.......OYE.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:KrisR)

Kris,

Thumbnail Viewer installation package is available:

>>> on installation DVD (or inside installation zip file) ... see \install\addon directory (ProE WF5, Creo 1.0).

>>> in WF5\install\addon directory

>>> in CREO2\Creo 2.0\Common Files\F001\install\addon directory

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Hi Lou,

Have same issue and had to resort to deleting thumbplug.dll.

According to the SPR mentioned later this is not fixed until end of August for either Creo Elements/Pro 5 (WF5) or for Creo 2.0 as shown by the PTC product release calendar.

Regards, Brent

Top Tags