cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

VBAPI cannot connect to symbol editing interface?

Pettersson
13-Aquamarine

VBAPI cannot connect to symbol editing interface?

I've got a rather large and complicated symbol to work on, and as we all know the interface to do this is horrible in Creo, with all text being overlaid on top of each other. So I had an idea: I'll draw my symbol in a hierarchical fashion, and then use Move Special to move all the notes to their correct positions! That actually worked ok, but it's still a lot of work to move all of the notes. Next brilliant idea: I'll use the VBAPI to connect to Creo with VBA from Excel and I'll have a table that just lists all the notes and their coordinates. Then I can work on my symbol in a nice, uncluttered environment and run the script to jam everything together before saving the symbol.

This worked less well. I can't seem to connect to Creo when it's in the symbol editing more. It works fine to connect when I'm in part or drawing mode, but I get an error when in symbol mode. I'm guessing it's because of the ever-open menu. Does anyone know a way around this? I just use a copy-pasted

asynconn.Connect("", "", ".", 5)

... when connecting. Maybe changing one of those variables could work? Or perhaps I'll have to connect while in the drawing and then go into symbol editing when connected. that seems more complicated, and I'm not even sure VBA can do it.

Any tips?

3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

I do not have any suggestion concerning VBA ... please ask PTC Support.

My tips:

• create several mapkeys for specific symbol variants
  • split complex symbol into several simplier ones

Martin Hanák

Thanks for your reply, Martin. Sorry I didn't get back. I pretty much brute-forced my symbol by moving everything manually using mapkeys. I think maybe it would have been possible to connect to the session while in normal drawing mode, then edit the symbol from there, and I tried this for a while, but kept running into difficulties. In the end I didn't have time to solve this, and just moved everything manually using a mapkey that unfortunately only saved me two clicks per note I needed to move.

I think, you can modify entities (move notes) in symbol definition directly.

Take a look at the documentation chapter "Detail Symbol Definitions"

Top Tags