cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEEEELP! How to edit an .igs file on PTC Creo?

SOLVED

Re: Just moved to Creo 2.0 ...... I HATE IT!!! Does any else?

Bjarke

I totaly agree that the jlink API is not the best documented API i the world.

Especially when it comes to tutorials and examples.

Another problem is that there is really no active community related to Creo development as compared to for instance AutoCAD.

However, once you get the hang of its not all bad.

I mainly do my Creo development in the vbapi.

The reason for this is that i simply prefer the .net programming environment.

If i understand you correctly you have done some development in Inventor, this is VBA right?

If you are comfortable with programming in VBA then i suggest you try the vbapi and .net instead of jlink and java.

I appreciate the depth of change to the new CREO interface, but rather than rant, I'd like to know if there is a resource for users that involves a library of Config.pro files that improve the interface settings and usability of the new versions.

Is there a directory of Config.pro files with screen-shots of ribbons, working environment settings and adjustments (tweaks) to the CREO environment that have the potential to improve my work-flows?

Is there a directory of available title-block formats?

Are there printing resources that can take me out of the trial-and-error mode of failing to find a configuration that actually works on my Samsung Laser and HP-inkjet printers? I seem to continually encounter paper-jams that are caused by Pro-E, while Adobe CS-6, MS-Office and other apps seem to work fine!

I used to have a sys-admin, I used to be able to ask for help, and I used to have meaningful work.

But now, as an independent consultant I am totally dependent on my own resources. My VAR is less than responsive as I will never be a large revenue source. Therefore, spending time searching through rants endlessly for answers, work-arounds and solutions is not very productive.

With a large user base of professionals with both more experienced and better support capabilities than I have, I am constantly adapting to my clients' needs and environments. My livelihood depends on providing solutions based on delivering workable geometry.

Any suggestions for finding workable solutions? If any are out there, PTC's offerings are not readily apparent, . . .

Thanks-

-Dale

Other places to register your rants:

Ribbon Angst

http://communities.ptc.com/groups/wf5-ribbon-angst

Allow the status bar to be moved to the top of the Creo window

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1327

Remove the Ribbon

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2359

Hey Brian! I agree. But I think at one time, at least to a degree, PTC developers actually knew how to use the software, and cared aboue the end user. I'd say that ended at the Wildfire interface. NOW, it's clear they don't. That the software is developed for the "whiz-bang" flashy interface, so that the marketing and sales force can convince the management in potential customer companies (who generally know nothing about CAD, and don't bother to include people who DO in the decision) to buy their software.

Years ago I was asked by the head of Variable Section Sweeps to join their committee because of some of th eadvanced stuff I was doing. I was stoked, and ready to join. Then I guess PTC management above him found out I'd said something derogatory about Windchill on the i-net (which they went to MY management at a previous company about and tried to get me fired). The upshot is, it's like the guy fell off the face of the Earth, and never responded to anything again. Then last year I spent a few hours of my free time giving my opinions of Windchill in a GoTo meeting, showing him he UNfriendly the interface was, and when I offered to help and do some beta-testing for them in return for a legit copy of Pro/E for my (valuable) free time, they weren't interested. So, I'm not much interested in helping them anymore unless there's something in it for me. too bad, because I think I, along with many of the other advanced user like you and others, could really help them if they'd only LISTEN.

Hi Frank...

Yeah, I remember you telling me about the VSS debacle. You're making good points and it's hard to refute them. I'm trying to work within the system to make the tool better but it's a slow process. I wish someone from PTC would come up to me and just outright offer me a job helping them test, refine, and enhance the software. At the very least, they should take up your suggestion to recruit some kind of 'dream team' to assist with product development in exchange for... something.

There are a whole bunch of good ideas out there... problem is getting someone to act on them. It's a struggle, that's for sure.

if they want to save this wonderful software..they have to let there ego go!...and atleat listen to you and Frank..

it is very very necessary that they do something positive....

Although it may be hard to see sometimes, I truly do think PTC is trying to do something positive. I'm sure behind the walls, the people working to develop the software are pouring their heart and soul into it. The process is slow and imperfect. In my opinion, the piece that's lacking is the kind of customer collaboration Frank is advocating. It's not the "missing" piece... but it's definitely the weakest link.

Customers directly share their issues with PTC. There are SPR's and other bug fixes pulled from the support database. Then there are the Technical Committees. And finally we've added in the Product Enhancement/Ideas from PTC Community. Each of these pathways is relatively slow. Some are more effective than others. When customers are struggling with the software, none of them provides quick relief... therefore they all feel inadequate.

Personally, the absolute best thing PTC ever did was to create the PTC Community. In many cases, we're able to solve problems faster here than the support people can. Sometimes we're able to solve problems even the support people cannot solve. And, we've seen recently, sometimes the solutions we post here make it back into the PTC knowledgebase! I was totally caught off guard that a trick I posted here made it back to a PTC document (https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS126392).

The length of the development cycle and the perceived slowness of enhancements and bug fixes makes it seem like the software is not progressing. Therefore, the only way PTC can really seem responsive would be to provide really stellar customer support, collaboration and outreach. Without trying to be too negative, let's just say they're not providing those things.

Again, the best and only way I see to improve things is to use the tools we have... get involved. We can press for more access and more methods to communicate with the developers but unless PTC provides those avenues, we have to use what's available.

Highlighted

I can't really see any good reasons why:

1) The Product Enhancement/Ideas tab is not accessible by anyone registered to this site.

2) All the PTC webminars, including the ones with keys, are not accesible by anyone registered to this site.

3) The knowledgebase is not accesible by anyone registered to this site.

4) There is no way to report serious bugs directly by anyone registered to this site.

i agree with you completely....why are only maintenace customers allowed all that.

non- maintenace customers also bought the software legally....we only want the software to be better and best...

just to report a bug?

just to a give a product idea?

but you need to be a maintence customer..how sad!

ptc community is much better than knowledege base...so don't need that

OK....

I have now been working with SolidWorks and Creo 2.0 for 9 months.

I'm absolutely up to speed on SolidWorks, which was new to me when I started.

Continuing using Creo 2.0 and PDMLink was just a bonus as I see it now.

PTC can learn something about UI from SW, but SW can learn something about robustness and features from Creo.

In my opinion they cover 2 different approaches to CAD which necessarily don't have to rule the other one out.

I love the way sketch behave in Creo, and SW is just as nasty when it comes to references as Creo.

Assemblies in Creo are much more intuitive, especially when something goes wrong!

You can constrain an assembly in SW so that NOBODY can grasp the idea on how and why things are as they areSmiley Happy - I've seen examples from colleagues that gave me a lot more grey hairs than Creo ever have.

Just to make even more fun within the next ½ year or so we're all moving to Siemens NX 9.

That will give some fun!

Have a nice day!

Preben