cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How can I get a list of tags from the PLC?

ScottInTexas
4-Participant

How can I get a list of tags from the PLC?

I am just starting out and trying to figure out how to use KEPServerEx 6. I created the channel and the  device then opened the Quick Client. There are several folders listed such as DataLogger, System,etc. At the bottom is the Channel.Device._system folder. When I open that, there are about 22 tags. But not what I want. I am looking for temperatures, torques, pressures, etc. How do I get those tags?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@ScottInTexas

Here is a link to the page in the Allen Bradley Control Logix Manual that covers tag generation:

https://www.ptc.com/store/-/media/kepware-store/en/manuals/allen-bradley-controllogix-ethernet-manual.pdf#page=24

The Omron driver used to connect to an Omron protocol devices does not support the functionality of automatic tag generation. A manual addition of tags or csv import will be needed to add tags to the configuration for the Omron Driver. 

Thanks,

*Chris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

If you have the channel and device entered correctly you should be able to browse through that channel (not the _system) and see the controller tags. You can also have the channel/device generate static tags in the configuration panel of the device setup. 

Thank you, SlidingDownhill, for your reply. You said "You can also have the channel/device generate static tags in the configuration panel of the device setup." I read that as I can click something and a list of tags will be generated. How do I do that? I do not see anything in the menus to accomplish this. It is an Omron PLC so I should be seeing tags like Ext1Temp1 or Screw1RPM. Or however the tags are defined. But in the Omron the Address is a name. Can you describe how to have the device generate a list of tags?

That might only be an Allen Bradley thing - I have no info regarding using Omron. Sorry

How do you do it for Allen Bradley? I also have a system with that PLC.

For a Logix controller:

Project | Connectivity | Channel | Device | Properties | Tag Generation | Create Tags

I don't understand your response. Are you able to get the device to give you a list of tags? If so, how?

That's the path you follow with your mouse clicks. If you set the devices up you should know the first 4, just keep following the path

@ScottInTexas

Here is a link to the page in the Allen Bradley Control Logix Manual that covers tag generation:

https://www.ptc.com/store/-/media/kepware-store/en/manuals/allen-bradley-controllogix-ethernet-manual.pdf#page=24

The Omron driver used to connect to an Omron protocol devices does not support the functionality of automatic tag generation. A manual addition of tags or csv import will be needed to add tags to the configuration for the Omron Driver. 

Thanks,

*Chris

Top Tags