cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Older FANUC robots - HMI SNPX to OPC-UA

JasonM
4-Participant

Older FANUC robots - HMI SNPX to OPC-UA

Hi,

I am looking to transform data points from some of our older FANUC system R-30iA and R-J3iB welding robots, Arctool software version 6.22 to 7.70 

we purchased the HMI Device SNPX option, (FOCAS is CNC only and not available for robots) which provides a simulated GE plc communication protocol. My goal is to provide OPC-UA tags to Machine Metrics monitoring platform 

Screenshot 2024-05-23 161117 (002).png

I am still using the trial version of KEPware Server EX. using the GE OPEN driver for connectivity.  Seems to be connected, but it does not appear to be pulling in the SNPX_ASG variables. My question is before I purchase the GE Suite license, is this the correct driver and software to use? 

Here is a snip from the variables that I would like to read into KEPWare;

##.120.##.##/MD/SYSTEM.VA
[*SYSTEM*]$SNPX_ASG Storage: CMOS Access: RW : ARRAY[80] OF SNPX_ASG_T
Field: $SNPX_ASG[1].$ADDRESS Access: RW: SHORT = 1
Field: $SNPX_ASG[1].$SIZE Access: RW: SHORT = 10000
Field: $SNPX_ASG[1].$VAR_NAME Access: RW: STRING[37] = 'R[1]@1.1'
Field: $SNPX_ASG[1].$MULTIPLY Access: RW: REAL = 1.000000e+00

JM_11089979_0-1717161065031.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Resolution snippet taken from case:

From the screenshot, it looks like you haven't set up any device tags in Kepware (tags that start with an underscore are internal tags). Some variables are already mapped to GE SNPX type registers while others, such as Karel Variables, need additional configuration. The best source of information can be found in an Inductive Automation white paper:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.inductiveautomation.com/legacy_forum_attachments/IgnitionHmiInterfaceToFanucRobots.pdf

While it also covers the connection to Ignition, you can switch to your application in Step 3."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:JasonM)

Hi @JasonM

I understand that you are also opening a case for your problem. I am posting this reply to let the rest of the Community know. 

Olivier

Resolution snippet taken from case:

From the screenshot, it looks like you haven't set up any device tags in Kepware (tags that start with an underscore are internal tags). Some variables are already mapped to GE SNPX type registers while others, such as Karel Variables, need additional configuration. The best source of information can be found in an Inductive Automation white paper:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.inductiveautomation.com/legacy_forum_attachments/IgnitionHmiInterfaceToFanucRobots.pdf

While it also covers the connection to Ignition, you can switch to your application in Step 3."

JasonM
4-Participant
(To:cmorehead)

I have a follow-up question, OPC-UA is now connected and reporting, looking to pull String Register data from the robot, the GE Ethernet driver supports string. the Specific String Register I want to configure is where we store the part number of the currently running program. I see all the pieces in the GE Ethernet Driver help manual under Advanced Addressing, but I am not sure how to put them all together.

[99] = 011RE29905 ' '

Snip from the robot /MD/STREG.VA file

JasonM_5-1718724388738.png

Property as currently configured

JasonM_6-1718724661490.png

JasonM_0-1718724155051.png

Snip from the help file

JasonM_1-1718724191676.png

JasonM_2-1718724225336.png

where I can see the string register on the robot

JasonM_3-1718724272517.png

JasonM_4-1718724302862.png

Posting resolution from Kepware support ticket here:

"From the screenshot, it looks like you haven't set up any device tags in Kepware (tags that start with an underscore are internal tags). Some variables are already mapped to GE SNPX type registers while others, such as Karel Variables, need additional configuration. The best source of information can be found in an Inductive Automation white paper:

Thanks,

*Chris

Top Tags