cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

String Data Type in Modbus Driver Kepware connectivity

ParthBhadiyadra
11-Garnet

String Data Type in Modbus Driver Kepware connectivity

Hello,

I want to read data from Modbus PLC, so in the Kepwar device tag, there is a string data type. how to use that.

my use case is to read the Device name from Modbus PLC and that data push to thingworx, I have connected kepware and thingworx but I want to know how string and other data type work, other than Word data tyepe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Modbus only consists of 16 bit registers. It can't transfer anything else .

On one side you would need to locate the individual characters as ascii values (or break the string into ascii characters, one per register), copy that number of registers, and then reassemble them into a string onthe other side 

I don't know if  Kepware's "Advanced Tags" or Thingworks can help with the reassembly, but Modbus itself has that 16 bit register limitation that you can't work around. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Modbus only consists of 16 bit registers. It can't transfer anything else .

On one side you would need to locate the individual characters as ascii values (or break the string into ascii characters, one per register), copy that number of registers, and then reassemble them into a string onthe other side 

I don't know if  Kepware's "Advanced Tags" or Thingworks can help with the reassembly, but Modbus itself has that 16 bit register limitation that you can't work around. 

Top Tags