cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Can you import IGES in Mold Package?

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Can you import IGES in Mold Package?

I am building a die model in the Mold application.

I need to bring in some location data from this job built in another CAD system.

It appears that there is no way of bringing in IGES information as there is in a typical part model. The Get Data tab is still there but there is no menu dropdowns from this.

Can someone tell me how to bring IGES data into a Mold application model if it is possible?

If this isn't possible does anyone know why this option isn't available?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:pimm)

You can only import models in part or assembly mode and then assemble them to your moldesign.

The obvious reason, why import is not available in Moldesign:

The standard formats (STEP, IGES, etc...) do not support mold specific information, so there is nothing you can exchange, which can't be exchanged at part or assembly mode as well. In other words there would be not much benefit for the user, if it was supported (apart from being able to directly import instead of requiring one extra step by assembling the mold component).

Accordingly there is not much reason/motivation for our product design to undertake the efforts of implementing.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:gkoch)

Thank you for answering my question.

There are certain things that we take for granted in the CAD system we are disbanding. I like directly inserting IGES into a die model as it eliminates steps. The interface allows more than 1 active solid. You can boolean what is necessary out of a die.

Creo on the other hand is a re-learning process. It takes a little more creativity to get to the finish line on a project.

Creo does have advantages however over what we have been using; otherwise we wouldn't have switched.

Top Tags