cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Custom Drill Cycles

kpratt
1-Newbie

Custom Drill Cycles

Need help setting up a custom drill cycle for thru spindle coolant drills in a VMC. I will be spotting the holes 2xD with short drill first. After the holes are spotted this is what I am looking to do:

Enter hole at a lower rpm (around 300rpm)

Turn TSC ON

Ramp spindle speed to desired RPM

Drill Hole

Return to origanal starting point

Ramp RPM back down

Turn TSC OFF

go to next hole

Custom drill cycle seem like the way to go to do this just not familar with them and the daocumentation is lacking to say the least. We drill anywhere from 100 to over a thousand holes in one block. I have been able to use normal drill cycles for the shorter drill but when using 15D or 20 D drills they will snap if the tip is not supported in the hole when ramping up to proper spindle RPM. I might want to try a different variation where the TSC coolant stays on the entire time instead of on/off for every hole. I will say that I do not program everyday but trying to utilize the machine and tooling to their potential. Thank you for any help.

Kevin

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:kpratt)

Can you explain what you mean with coolant on/off for every hole?

Usually, when I set the parameter COOLANT_OPTION to ON in a drilling sequence, coolant switches on and stays on hole by hole and hole set by hole set for the whole sequence. Are you using multiple sequences and want coolant stay on between them?

Apart from this, have you considered adding coolant ON and OFF by simply adding CL Command relative to toolpath? It might be easier to do than creating a custom cycle just for the purpose of switching coolant on and off.

kpratt
1-Newbie
(To:kpratt)

The drill manufacturer reccommended turning the thru spindle coolant on after the drill has entered the pilot hole. From what testing I have done so far I really don't think it would matter, I would actually prefer to leave the coolant on throughtout the entire drill cycle. My main concern is entering the pilot hole at the reduced spindle RPM and then ramping up to the proper drill RPM. These longer drills snap like a twig if the tip is not supported in the pilot hole and drills are not cheap.

Top Tags