cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Help with expert machinist G-code Output

ptc-3654502
1-Newbie

Help with expert machinist G-code Output

I'm new to pro/E and Creo. I am having trouble with the expert machinist output to G-Code. My Machine tool does not like the format of the post processor. I have the basic 2 ½ D CAM that comes with Creo. The post outputs the tool path in as follows: N0012X00035Y0015F01. My machine tool interprets this as X=35 and Y=15. It should be X=0.35 and Y=1.5. In addition, can I adjust how the line numbers are generated? I would like to start at N0010 and increment by tens. I cannot find in the documentation how to change these formatting issues. I have tried using the NC Post Process under the Applications menu, but I’m not sure what It is actually doing. There is only the one default profile UNCX01 under the machine setup. And the list file says its using the UNCX01.p00 file (This file does not exist on my Hard drive.) So I’m at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Richard,

my colleague told me that "Expert machinist" module has significant limitation - it contains only one postprocessor (hard-coded). User cannot select different postprocessor. User also cannot modify the default postprocessor.

You have to use different manufacturing package to get requested output.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ok, after a lot of google and research on the internet I found a post to use that was writen for my machine tool. Now how do I get Expert machinist to use that post?

Hi Richard,

Judging from the NC codes posted you still need to edit your post processor. I would suggest (if you have not done so already) to go through the various tutorials and recources at PTC's GPOST central http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_24/howto/ncgp4903/ncgp4903.htm . As for using a particular post, you can create a workcell specific for your machine. Each time you create a manufacturing file select a machine specific workcell.

Richard,

my colleague told me that "Expert machinist" module has significant limitation - it contains only one postprocessor (hard-coded). User cannot select different postprocessor. User also cannot modify the default postprocessor.

You have to use different manufacturing package to get requested output.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

Admitedly I rarely use "expert machinist" (regularily using "NC Assembly" instead), however for the purpose of the exercise I checked an existing "expert machinist" file (Creo 1.0 - M020) and was able to toggle between existing post processors (and workcells) no problem. I was also able to access "Option File Generator", in which I could create and edit post processors?

If the stand alone Creo platform (eg no manufacturing licences) has such limitations, then with the exception of training purposes, it would be of little use to anyone?

See how you get on Richard.

Cheers,

Thank you all for the reply and info. I did place a call to Tech. Support late last Thursday, and they confirmed that the base software is indeed limited. When I purchased pro/E a year ago I was under the impression (from the PTC rep.) that it came with a full 2.5D CAM package. It turns out that yes it doesn’t. It is more of a DEMO. It does alow you to generate the CL data in generic form, but only the default post is available for G-Code output. How disappointing.

Hello Richard,

I have the same questions like you - But I even only found the CL-Data code generation.

In the moment I am also looking through the internet for a CL-Data to G-Code compiler - I even thought about making my own in Visul Basic. Could be possible because I only want to make easy 2 1/2 G-code without difficult operations...

I would be happy if I could generate a G-code like you did - how did you generate this? Where to find it on the hard drive? It might be easyser to write a VB code to translate a bad G-Code in a fitting G-code then making it from CL-Data...

Rainer from germany

Hello Rainer,

I followed these steps:

The first step is to make sure that your working directory is set. Once that is done, I followed the “Expert Machinist Wizard” prompts to get my part and stock set up. Then use ->NC Setup ->Operation to set-up and operation. I started with something easy and faced the part. After you have the machining operation created, you right click on the (in my case “FACE1 [OP010]”) machining feature in the project browser and select Create Tool Path. Make appropriate modifications if you want. This will create a tool path (mine is FACE1_TP1 [OP010]. No you can create the CL (cutter location file) by the menu ->NC Create ->Output ->Create CL File. It defaults the file name (*.ncl) select OK. This created a file in my working directory named “face1_tp1.ncl.1”. Now, to generate the NC file (.tap) us the menu ->NC Create ->Output ->Create NC Code ->Automatic (only option available if you don’t have a full Pro/NC license). This will generate the NC file, mine is “face1_tp1.tap”.

That’s it!

I started a Visual C# App to translate this file for me, but I’ve gotten sidetracked and haven’t gotten very far with it yet.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Top Tags