cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Housekeeping an older Creo system - what can I delete?

jferguson4
12-Amethyst

Housekeeping an older Creo system - what can I delete?

I just went through the nightmare of discovering that I was calling for 2 thousand second dwells on countersink cycles.  I thought the machine had quit, but that wasn't it.  My controller expects P periods in seconds not milliseconds.  I fussed my around G_post, found and fixed the variable and checked that it now works.  

My question is what to do with Creo residual installations from 7 to 10, each one containing gpost option files for my machines, some of which have been modified over the years.

When I upgraded to 10, I copied the gpost files from Creo 9 into the same folder that they would have been in 10 and it looks very much like that is what Creo Manufacturing has been reading when I call for a work-center I have on file. I fixed the uncx01.p33 (the one in the Creo10 system files) which is the option file for my mill and I now get the 2 second dwells I was looking for

I suppose I can move all of the older trees to another drive and Creo won't be able to find them and then if there are no problems delete them.  Surely there must be a way to find out whether my present installation is dependent on anything that isn't under the Creo10.*.* folder.  How??  Is there a file somewhere in the system which lists all of the referenced folders?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My apologies if I misunderstand your question; correct me if I am completely missing the point.

@jferguson4 wrote:

My question is what to do with Creo residual installations from 7 to 10, each one containing gpost option files for my machines, some of which have been modified over the years.

There should be no reason to have option files in different places. By default, Creo will look in it's loadpoint (install directory) location when there is no post file location, but prior to that, it will look for

gpostpp_dir <directory name>

in your config.pro. This means that you can set aside a permanent place for your gpost files, and then, on all new installs of future Creo releases, it will search there first. New Creo installs should be painless, and use your current gpost configurations.

So to answer your question fully, the other locations will not interfere because Creo won't look there, but you should have a dedicated location for config files, and not use the default location.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

My apologies if I misunderstand your question; correct me if I am completely missing the point.

@jferguson4 wrote:

There should be no reason to have option files in different places. By default, Creo will look in it's loadpoint (install directory) location when there is no post file location, but prior to that, it will look for

gpostpp_dir <directory name>

in your config.pro. This means that you can set aside a permanent place for your gpost files, and then, on all new installs of future Creo releases, it will search there first. New Creo installs should be painless, and use your current gpost configurations.

So to answer your question fully, the other locations will not interfere because Creo won't look there, but you should have a dedicated location for config files, and not use the default location.

jferguson4
12-Amethyst
(To:bmuller)

thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed.

cheers

Top Tags