cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Solid model tool parameters needed for material removal simulation in Moduleworks/vericut

nlehman
12-Amethyst

Solid model tool parameters needed for material removal simulation in Moduleworks/vericut

Hello, I have scoured the internet for any information on parameters and CSYS's needed for using solid model tooling in material removal simulation.

From the information that I have gathered, it seems that you create a parameter in each of the tools components named "VERICUT_TYPE" and then set it to either "HOLDER" or "TOOL" based on what the component does, and I am not for sure but I have also seen that you might be bale to set it to "INSERT" as well?  This parameter also seems to need to be set regardless if you are using moduleworks, you still need the "VERICUT_TYPE" parameter.

You then need to create a CSYS in the center of an assembled solid model tool with the Z pointing into the tool and located at the cutting height.  You then open your insert (if using one) and create a CSYS named "INSERT" facing the same direction as your "TIP" CSYS and located in the center of the insert.  

I have done this, but seem to have mixed results.  Am I missing something?  Is there any literature whatsoever out there to explain how to correctly make a solid model tool for use with moduleworks?  Are the parameters I am setting ("TOOL", "HOLDER, and "INSERT") right?

6 REPLIES 6
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:nlehman)

The help files have some pretty good information on solid tools

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:SteveLucas)

Here is an older webinar I found on solid tooling that might help also.

nlehman
12-Amethyst
(To:SteveLucas)

Thanks

From reading over the webinar, it does talk about the parameter "HOLDER" but never states anything about "TOOL" or "INSERT", I can not seem to find any official information on that, only information from other users that have previously posted with their experience with this.

mdenicola
13-Aquamarine

Hi

did you solve about solid tools and Moduleworks?

I am also fighting with parameters , csys and so on, to have the solid tool in moduleworks

No good results.

Thanks

Marco

nlehman
12-Amethyst
(To:mdenicola)

I was able to get them working enough to play around.

At the top level of the tool assembly, you need to create a parameter named "TOOL_TYPE" and set its value to whatever tool it is (Example, END MILL, BASIC DRILL, TAPPING, BORING BAR).  In this top-level assembly, you also need to create geometry parameters based on what TOOL_TYPE you have set.  In my example, it is an END MILL, so the parameters CUTTER_DIAM, LENGTH, FLUTE_LENGTH, also need to be created and values set.

nlehman_0-1603194927004.png

After you create the tool, if you bring it into your manufacturing model, you can see some of the parameter names available, by clicking "show tool info", and also it's handy to use the BOM tab to make sure that every component is seen as a "HOLDER" or "GENERAL" (See below).

nlehman_1-1603196886425.png

Each component of the assembly needs to have the parameter "VERICUT_TYPE" created and then set to either "HOLDER" or "TOOL", with TOOL being set for any cutting pieces.  These two flags tell the material simulation, which part of the assembly removes material.  As stated above, you can check the tools BOM to make sure these parameters are set for every component of the tool, the "TOOL" shows up as "GENERAL" in the BOM.

Lastly, the tool needs to have 2 CSYS, one named "TIP" with Z facing into the tool, and the other named "TOOL_POINT" with the Z facing into the spindle and set to where the tool sits in the spindle.  In my example, the "TOOL_POINT" z is set to the top of the CAT40 taper, since that is where the tool sits in the spindle.  This CSYS setting is used for the Machine play feature.

nlehman_2-1603197254273.png

I don't currently have more time to go into detail, but that should be enough to get you started with a working solid model tool.  Don't hesitate to ask questions, I will answer them if I can.

mdenicola
13-Aquamarine

Hi

I tried using your tips but I couldnt succesfully have the turning tool showing correctly with moduleworks

Maybe if I send you a assemply file you can check it?

Thank You

Marco

Top Tags