cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Sweep and revolution

Turattti
1-Newbie

Sweep and revolution

Hi guys!! I need to create a groove like this:

perforatore1.jpg

It's a groove created by a milling process in which the axis of the drill is not normal to the cut trajectory.

perforatore.jpg

perforatore2.jpg

I've done this manufacturing by a very complex work of surface.

My question is: is there a system to create a cutting revolution along a tajectory????

Thank you very much!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
13 REPLIES 13

Hi Enzo,

the answer to your question is no. I have raised this topic a few times in the past, quite recently in fact. See the post "swept cut". Having said this, i'm not too sure what you were trying to achieve was that complex. Could you not have simply swept the drill profile along a trajectory, & then made a second revolved cut to finish the required feature. I have done this many, many times before.

Regards

John

There is no feature that would do what you want. The ability to do a sweep cut while rotating the section along an axis. You can create a sweep cut that has a section not normal to the trajectory, but it won't rotate the section along the trajectory. At least not that I have ever seen.

I noticed that you have a model of the tool in your pictures. Have you considered creating a cutout? You could simply cut out the shape of the tool at the location that it supposed to stop and get the exact geometry you want.

You can also go about this in different ways such as surfacing as you mentioned, but maybe the cutout would be easier. Just a thought.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:Turattti)

Hey Paisan, did you manage to get the exact cut you needed? As you said, it can be done with surfaces 2 ways I can think of offhand:

1. Creating a revolved surface of the 1/2 the milling cutter shape on the lower right side (from the centerlin over), then the bottom circlular surface. Then sweep or extrude a surface along that trajectory where the cross section is a PROJECTION onto a plane normal to the "trajectory" of the edges of that 1/2 surface such that the surfaces intersect. Then merge/trim the surfaces to treate a quilt that totally includes the surfaces of the solid you wish to cut, then solidify/cut the material.

2. Creating a revolved surface of the 1/2 the milling cutter shape on the lower right side (from the centerlin over), then the bottom circlular surface. Then create a boundary blend where the top end is a section of lines projected onto a plane normal to the "trajectory" of the edges of that 1/2 surface, and the other end is the edges of the lines themselves of the revolved surface. Then merge/trim the surfaces to treate a quilt that totally includes the surfaces of the solid you wish to cut, then solidify/cut the material.

Ciao!

P.S. What do you think about Marco Simoncelli's accident, if you follow MotoGP? Tragic, what a loss.....

@John: your technique work well only if the axis is normal to the trajectory; in my case it generate an incomplete surface. To check it, try to create a cut lke the one shown in the first picture.

@Frank: i'm not italian, i'm from Veneto. And Veneto is not Italy . Anyway, I used the first solution you suggest. I just need to know if there were other simply ways to do this. About Simoncelli

See you!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Well, the name SOUNDS Italian, especially "Enzo", sorry. Where's Veneto?

@John: your technique work well only if the axis is normal to the trajectory; in my case it generate an incomplete surface. To check it, try to create a cut lke the one shown in the first picture.

@Frank: i'm not italian, i'm from Veneto. And Veneto is not Italy . Anyway, I used the first solution you suggest. I just need to know if there were other simply ways to do this. About Simoncelli

See you!

See you!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Hey Paisan, from Wiki: "Veneto had been for more than a millennium an independent state, the Republic of Venice, until it was eventually annexed by Italy in 1866 after brief Austrian and French rule. Its capital was, and still is, Venice, which ruled for centuries one of the largest and richest maritime republics and trade empires in the world. Due to this rich cultural legacy, a significant number of Venetians consider themselves to have a unique identity which they refuse to subsume within the notion of "Italian", and the regional government has gone so far as to officially define its inhabitants as "a people".[4] This opened the way to a notable nationalist movement and to the election of a "Venetian nationalist", Luca Zaia (Liga VenetaLega Nord), as president of the Region in 2010."

That would be like Texans claiming they weren't Americans, no?

Or the Cornish claiming they aren't English...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornwall

I live in the Republic of Texas.

If I remember right, Texas has the right to secceed from the US written into it's state constitution.

Correct. We are proud of that.

I love a state that recognizes the 2nd Ammendment.

Exactly! This is why I specifically mentioned Texas.

Top Tags