cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

which model to make first - cast or machining

AnkurAggarwal
1-Newbie

which model to make first - cast or machining

hello everyone which model should be made first, cast or machining? Ankur
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Generally the cast model first. Then you can make the machining model using merge by reference (so the cast model is the first feature in the machined model). Alternatively, you can make the machined part by using family table where the machined part is an instance of the cast part with the machined cuts turned on in the family table for the machined part. Hope that gets you started at least, good luck and happy Friday

thats what I have always been doing. But in current problem, I have an assembly made of all machined parts. And have to make cast and machining drawings. To make cast models from machining models, i will have add material over machined model. And my models have bit complex geometry. what i m trying is offset the surfaces to add machining allowances. In some cases i m not able to do so. Is there any other method to do this?

I don't see any way, except to put in the work. I've done the same kind of thing and it gets tricky working with surfaces that don't want to extend the right way.

It sounds like you're trying to "convert" a current machined model into a cast model. You might try using the cast model as an inheritance feature into an empty part, then adding the material there. that way if the machined surfaces change, your cast surfaces will too (if you base the added material dims off of the machining). Ideally, you'd want to design them both in parallel, using the family table techniques outlined in another thread. good luck.

Thanks everyone. I am using Inheritance Feature for cast model derived from machined model. One more question is arriving while making the drawing of cast model. I want to put dimensions in cast drawing by show/erase. But the dimensions which are in the original model (i.e machined model) do not come with show/erase. Is there any method to show those original model dimensions (apart from using created dimensions)? Thanks Ankur.
Top Tags