cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

2D Plots: axis colours

ptc-2077447
1-Newbie

2D Plots: axis colours

So far I am liking the new 2D plots design-wise, but customizability seems to have taken a backward step.

In particular,

1) Is there any way to change the colour of the axes? On screen grey is OK, but printing leaves them close to invisible.

2) Previously the plot parameters could be hidden - I've found how to move them to different places, but not to hide them completely.

3) The "units in plots" functionality looks very good, but putting the units in parentheses is "wrong" according to most scientific style guides. (Which recommend for example "distance / m" rather than "distance (m).) Admittedly this might be uglier in use, but for presentation-quality plots it is important.

4) No customizable axis labels?
4 REPLIES 4

On 8/14/2009 2:42:19 AM, jrharries wrote:
== So far I am liking the new 2D plots design-wise,
but customizability seems to have taken a backward
step.

Agreed, particularly hiding arguments. Has anyone
found a way to put a border around a plot? (or
regions in general)

Stuart

Huh? You like it - it is missing many features we have had for years!

Try plotting 5 curves with 5 variables on the X and Y axis. Does the X axis look intellengent with 5 variables going down vertically?

How about trying to make a plot with several thousand points and turn on symbols - cannot specify a frequency for the symbols so you get a fat wide line. No trace, no zoom (or at least I cannot figure it out), no legend, no axis labels, cannot copy into PowerPoint other than screen grab which looks terrible.

There are DSP tools in Mathcad, so do a typical thing like read in a large measured data set, say 100,000 points or more. Try to plot it - 2-D plot just hanges forever.

So, how is it you do not find these missing features a big problem?

Try to read in an existing MC 14 doc with a 2-D graph in it, I did and got NOTHING.

So, do you really like the new plotting capability?

On 8/23/2009 8:28:36 PM, diehlted wrote:
>== Does the X axis look intellengent with 5
variables going down vertically?

Select the x-axis list of arguments, click on the
resize dots and drag to the right; they should line
up horizontally then.

Stuart

Agreed, what is the point of graying out the axes and ghosting the curves? It is kind of pretty but it interferes with trying to actually use the plot. Go ahead and make black black, not gray. Make blue to be blue, etc.

I have not tried printing so thanks for the heads up.
Top Tags