cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

2d interpolation

ebelmonte
8-Gravel

2d interpolation

Dear all,

I'm facing an issue with 2d interpolation in Mathcad.

The interpolating function results in negative, not plausible values.

Could you please support you?

Attached you find the file.

Thank-you very much.

Enrico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tried a simple linear interpolation, put the Y scale logarithmic, saw the problem.

Try attached

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hello Valery,

Thank you for answering. However I didn't get where is the problem by the definition of the two-dimensional spline function.

Do you have any Idea?

Thanks!

Enrico

Tried a simple linear interpolation, put the Y scale logarithmic, saw the problem.

Try attached

Thank-you all for your precious support!

I understand your problem.

Among the functions lspline, pspline, cspline,  there is no function by which the value of the first derivative of a function on the boundary could be specified.

To solve your problem it is necessary to add boundary conditions (imaginary conditions).

Look at the small example for a function of one variable.

Я понимаю вашу проблему.

Среди функций lspline, pspline, cspline нет функции, с помощью которой можно было бы задать значение первой производной функции на границе.

Для решения вашей задачи необходимо добавить граничные условия (мнимые условия).

Посмотрите маленький пример для функции одной переменной.

Splines tend to oscillate, so its no surprise you also get negative values in your interpolation - especially given the wide range of your "Properties" values.

Its interesting to see that Freds interesting tricky way works and gives positive values.

I would stick with a simple 2D linear interpolation.

As Mathcads 2D interpolations restricts me to a square data matrix I had written a few 2D (and 3D) interpolation routines which do not have that restriction. See attached file

Here is the 3D-plot using Freds function

Maybe his function is more appropriate for your purpose - you'll have to decide.

FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

Dear Werner, could it be that you have attached an older version of your file? When I open it with MC 15.045 I see this:

As you can see there are some strange issues in both plots.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:FDS)

No, its saved with MC15 M045.

But 3D-plots are lknown to be problematic depending on OS, video driver, setting of color depth and graphics acceleration.

Not sure why you see those distorted plots.

FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst

Thank you for your prompt reply. What should be the most likely cause, or is it like searching for the needle in the hay stack?

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:FDS)

The usual tipps when one experiences problems with 3D plots are

- turn off the border (which already is in my plots)

- reduce the color depth on your system

- turn off grahics acceleration

- install the newest driver for your video

But the problem usually is that 3Dplots do not show up completetly. Thats not the case here as you see the plots.

No clue what could be the cause. What happens if you create the plots yourself from scratch?

Did you experience problems with 3D plots before?

FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst

Reducing color depth from 32 bits to 16 bits gave a massive improvement (plot 2 OK, Plot 1 still a black bar). Recreating the plots from scratch did not change anything. When I change the plot to data points I get correct plots even without reducing color depth. I am afraid I will be forced to experiment a little bit further. Anyway, thank you for your valuable help (as usual). Filip

Top Tags