cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Aligning equations ?

TH_10254372
4-Participant

Aligning equations ?

In Mathcad 15, if you have equations scatter along the sheet you can highlight, go to format, and the select align regions from the drop menu. How do you do that in Mathcad prime 8 ?

Capture.PNGraevfebv.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:TH_10254372)

Only move items one by one.

The developers of Prime have apparently found that arranging regions individually just by eye, possibly using the grid, has to suffice.
Stupid, ignorant, but unfortunately a fact.
This is, regretfully, by far not the only thing to find fault with the Prime disaster software.

Hi,

This has been requested in Mathcad Ideas.

Search for "Mathcad Prime : Please add alignment tools"

Posting currently has 12 votes so I recommend you go to the ideas page, search for the posting and vote for it.

Cheers

Terry

@terryhendicott wrote:

Hi,

This has been requested in Mathcad Ideas.

Search for "Mathcad Prime : Please add alignment tools"

Posting currently has 12 votes so I recommend you go to the ideas page, search for the posting and vote for it.

Cheers

Terry

Having followed the so-called "development" of Prime from the beginning, I have come to the conclusion that this "ideas" section is merely a placebo for paying customers. If PTC were really serious about wanting to improve the software, development would look significantly different and there would also be an easy way open to all users to report bugs and suggest improvements.

Thanks Werner.

PTC allegedly read the forums so lets test them.

Two of the highest voted requests are/were:

Break long equations at operators - Apr 18, 2012 06:13 PM 
Bring back the "period" for subscripts instead of the dopy "Ctrl-Underscore." - Mar 18, 2022 10:04 AM

Of the highest voted options these are the easiest to create programmatically.

First one  has been implemented since 2012

Second one 2022 lets see if it makes Prime 9

My favorite bugbear is you used to be able to enter text by typing the first word and as soon as you type space software is intelligent enough to know hey this is text not variable names.

Cheers 

Terry

Speaking as a PTC employee who reads the forum (but isn't in product management)...

"My favorite bugbear is you used to be able to enter text by typing the first word and as soon as you type space software is intelligent enough to know hey this is text not variable names."

You'll be pretty happy pretty soon, then.

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

Well, PTC has been tinkering with Prime for over 10 years now. In the meantime, they actually killed Mathcad 15 even though they still haven't managed to come up with at least a somewhat worthy successor in all that time.
I agree that it was much more comfortable to have the period for subscript, to start text with " or just start typing and at the first space, the writing will automatically convert to text. But there are so many things that have become more tedious, lengthy, and more complicated in Prime than we were used to in Mathcad. The ones mentioned are only a small part of it. Actions in Prime usually require more keystrokes and/or mouse actions than is and was necessary. Just a bad workflow (and the reason for this is not that we are used to old MC and not willing to learn new handling). Not to mention the slow behavior and the still severely lacking functionality.
Since I don't want to assume that PTC would not be able to create something significantly better in more than a decade than we now have with Prime, I have to assume that the will is missing and thus of course also the will to take improvement suggestions and wishes seriously. That's why I wrote that I consider this collection of ideas to be an eyewash.

But it is nice to hear that apparently in Prime 9 at least one or the other little thing (I almost wrote self-evidents) like maybe the easier creation of texts is implemented again after such a long time.  But thats just like giving us a few breadcrumbs to keep us quite while the half meal is still missing.
However, I think that a software that was launched more than 10 years ago to replace Mathcad would have to be at a significantly different level of development today and we wouldn't have to wish for features that were already self-evident in MC 10 years ago.

I hope that my disappointment and frustration about what PTC has screwed up is understandable, and also why I no longer have any confidence that there will be coming anything significant better in the short or medium term.

Although I very much miss the align regions buttons in Mathcad 15, my workaround is to select equations and move them using the arrow buttons.  In that way, the regions can be easily and accurately brought into alignment. Unfortunately, this has to be done one equation at a time.

Top Tags