cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

An Arrow above a function?

UKMan
1-Newbie

An Arrow above a function?

Hello,

This may appear to be a stupid question but I saw this in the built in help and did not know how to enter it into my file.

mathcad.jpg

This arrow above the function. How do I enter it?

and above all why is it there? What does it do?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:UKMan)

In the minerr quicksheet example x and y are a vector of values. So the function has been vectorized so each value of x and y are passed to the function inturn.

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Its called the Vectorize operator and can be founf on the Matrix tooler

Description from the help menu:-The vectorized product returns an array of the same size as A and B in which each element contains the product of the paired elements of A and B. The non-vectorized product performs a standard matrix multiplication.

Simple example below.

Clipboard01.jpg

This is a very useful function and is constantly used by forum members.

Mike

Thank you for the helpful reply. I now understand the concept of the vectorize operator and it is easy to see it from your example but why use it in the screenshot I provided?

its not vector multiplication? So why is the vectorize operator used there? and what would happen without it?

BTW the screenshot is from the minerr quicksheet

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Its doesn't have to be used on a vector mulitiplication, look below.

Clipboard01.jpg

The above retuens an array. 1 if the element in row is not zero, a zero is returned otherwise.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

In the minerr quicksheet example x and y are a vector of values. So the function has been vectorized so each value of x and y are passed to the function inturn.

Mike

k got it. Thanks for the explanation

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

A few additional notes.

Mathcad will implicitly vectorize trigonometric, logarithmic, Bessel and probability distribution functions when a vector is passed as an argument.

It will also implicitly vectorize vector arguments when the factorial, square and nth root, exponentiation and any relational operators are applied.

However, the vectorize operator must still be applied for all functions and operators in the case of a matrix argument.

Mike

Top Tags