cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Array Displaying Strange: all values [1,1] instead of calculated values

ptc-4919960
1-Newbie

Array Displaying Strange: all values [1,1] instead of calculated values

Hi, I am a civil engineering student attempting to create an interaction diagram for masonry columns using Mathcad. I have been using for loops with if statements to truncate values within arrays. Everything has been going smoothly until I try to display my latest calculated array for the forces in the reinforcement.

Engineering details aside, I am having a strange issue of the array (or matrix) not displaying correctly unless I call individual values.

Please see the attached file, my issue is a the bottom where I have called several manual values and then tried to display the same array and allow mathcad to put it in the standard scrollable table. All I get when I call the entire array is a table full of [1,1] values, instead of the force (in kips) that I can get when I call individual elements of the array. All other arrays that I have created in the sheet display correctly.

TL;DR: My arrays at the bottom of the sheet are having issues displaying correctly, but actually contain the correct values

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tyler

File was created with Mathcad 15 academic.

StrangeArrayOutput.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Problem area appears to be vlookup, this function is returning a vector (even though it is only 1 element) & all the following calculations are creating multiple layers on vectors because of this.

If you are expecting a single value, you can de-vector the result by selecting the first element only.

Capture.PNG

Note that the second line shows the ( ... ) format of the vector.

Hopefully this resolves your difficulty

Regards

Andy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Problem area appears to be vlookup, this function is returning a vector (even though it is only 1 element) & all the following calculations are creating multiple layers on vectors because of this.

If you are expecting a single value, you can de-vector the result by selecting the first element only.

Capture.PNG

Note that the second line shows the ( ... ) format of the vector.

Hopefully this resolves your difficulty

Regards

Andy

Thank you!, I just started using mathcad a month ago and I didn't realize what the parenthesis meant in that context. You're awesome!

Top Tags