cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Calculation of the mean in an Array

DG_8871348
4-Participant

Calculation of the mean in an Array

Hi,

I have a simple Problem however I'm searching since nearly one hour for the solution. 

I'm looking to calculate the mean in an Array. I Have R=(x1, x2, ....) and i want to calculate the mean of every value in the Array like Rm1=(x1+x2)/2 Rm2=(x2+x3)/2 ... and so on. 
How does it work im Mathcad? The normal Matrix Indicies with i and i+1 doesn't work.

I also attached a short Version of the Mathcad file, especially to focus on this Problem. Thanks for helping 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Here is your own approach using a range variable, but as the last element of the vector has no successor, the range to use must run only up to Anz.i-1 and so you can't use i, you need a new range variable - k in my example (but of course you also could redefine i for that purpose).

Werner_E_0-1623109570282.png

Nonetheless I would prefer defining a small utility function

Werner_E_1-1623110010341.png

But is there any shorter and easier Solution for this Problem without Programming? 

Luc's "Mean2" function IS quite short (and can be written even a little bit shorter if you assume ORIGIN=0) does NOT use programming (so it could be used in the free Express version of Prime, too).

The built-in function "movavg" suggested by Luc makes the same calculations but always returns a vector of the same length by prepending first vector element.

Werner_E_2-1623110134820.png

To get rid of it you may use the "submatrix" command

Werner_E_3-1623110198205.png

(assuming ORIGIN=0 as is the case in your sheet).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:DG_8871348)

You do realise that the result of this operation produces an array that has one less elements...?

This is one way to do it:

LucMeekes_0-1623087614384.png

The result for your array is:

LucMeekes_1-1623087632025.png

There's also a built-in function for it: Moving average. Try:

movavg(Ri,2)

Success!
Luc

DG_8871348
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks for the fast Reply.
But is there any shorter and easier Solution for this Problem without Programming? 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:DG_8871348)

Look again to my post: movavg is built in.

Success!

Luc

Here is your own approach using a range variable, but as the last element of the vector has no successor, the range to use must run only up to Anz.i-1 and so you can't use i, you need a new range variable - k in my example (but of course you also could redefine i for that purpose).

Werner_E_0-1623109570282.png

Nonetheless I would prefer defining a small utility function

Werner_E_1-1623110010341.png

Luc's "Mean2" function IS quite short (and can be written even a little bit shorter if you assume ORIGIN=0) does NOT use programming (so it could be used in the free Express version of Prime, too).

The built-in function "movavg" suggested by Luc makes the same calculations but always returns a vector of the same length by prepending first vector element.

Werner_E_2-1623110134820.png

To get rid of it you may use the "submatrix" command

Werner_E_3-1623110198205.png

(assuming ORIGIN=0 as is the case in your sheet).

DG_8871348
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks, the first Example was the Perfect Solution 😎

Top Tags