cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Changing number of decimals in WRITEEXCEL function

jvandenbrink
5-Regular Member

Changing number of decimals in WRITEEXCEL function

Hi,

I am writing a large matrix to excel and I try  to change the number of decimals it is writing to excel.

I use the WRITEEXCEL function. 

Is is possible to change the number of decimals before writing to excel?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As for the poster's original question, you still need to round/truncate the "extra" decimal points using a formula. However, this is a simple formula of =ROUND(,) that is not extremely computationally expensive Prepaid Card Status.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

Yes it is possible to use the "round()" function on a matrix of numbers before the writing to excel.

With no round statement.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

With the round function.

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Hello terryhendicott,

Thanks a lot for your help. So in order to round a large matrix, I have to use some for loops to go through that matrix. 

Looking at your example I still see that 15 decimals are exported to excel... A solution for this is to set the cell format in excel to 2 decimals for example, but then I have to perform this action every time I have exported data from Mathcad. 

Is is possible to only send two decimal values to excel?

Hi,

"So in order to round a large matrix, I have to use some for loops to go through that matrix. "

Yes the round function can be applied to a vector all at once so you loop through the columns of the matrix.

Capture.JPG

"Looking at your example I still see that 15 decimals are exported to excel... A solution for this is to set the cell format in excel to 2 decimals for example, but then I have to perform this action every time I have exported data from Mathcad. 

Is is possible to only send two decimal values to excel?"

It does only send two decimals to excel.  I formatted excel to show 15 decimal places.

Capture2.JPG

This is how excel shows without formatting straight after transfer.

Capture3.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Why not vectorize?

LucMeekes_0-1587145437224.png

LucMeekes_1-1587145446028.png

Success!
Luc

As for the poster's original question, you still need to round/truncate the "extra" decimal points using a formula. However, this is a simple formula of =ROUND(,) that is not extremely computationally expensive Prepaid Card Status.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Cambages)

There should be no need to use the ROUND function within excel. You can just set the number of displayed decimals in the number formatting section of excel:

LucMeekes_0-1587452280079.png

Success!
Luc

jvandenbrink
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi Luc,

Thanks for you answer.

That method doesn't work, since Mathcad is overwriting the cell format in excel.

The round function does work:)

Top Tags