cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Cleaning up calculations with explicit,ALL and units

WC_11081661
4-Participant

Cleaning up calculations with explicit,ALL and units

I've looked through some other topics, and it seems like there is currently no way to hide keywords and modifiers, is this correct? These types of calculations must always look cluttered?

2024-05-21 12_03_22-Window.png

Also, when using explicit,ALL with any non-exact result, you always seem to get a full display of precision. 

Using Round(x,x) seems to work okay, but this only adds to the clutter of an already "explicit,ALL" cluttered calculation. Using float,x is not much better, if not worse. 

2024-05-21 12_04_17-Window.png

It seems like the only way to make a clean looking calculation is to double down calculations within areas that can be hidden. But these is a problem with this also... sigh...

Not sure why the order of the values is backwards when you remove the "explicit,ALL" part. 

It doesn't seem to matter how you write the equation, 16in comes first, then 4ft. 

2024-05-21 12_10_26-Window.png

This would have been a decent workaround, if not for the annoying order in which the substitution is displayed. Can this be fixed?  

2024-05-21 12_11_02-Window.png

I honestly don't understand why this feature is so impossible to achieve! We just want the calculations to look like they would if we did it by hand, showing the substitution after the equation so it is easy to check. It would be amazing if keywords and modifiers could be hidden, and the crazy behavior of precision display within the symbolic calculation could be fixed. If the workaround is more work than just doing it by hand, then not having to worry about units and arithmetic mistakes becomes less of an advantage. 

6 REPLIES 6

I realize that when hiding calculations in an area, you don't need the explicit part, but you still need Round(x,x) to display 16in in the substitution display. 

Unfortunately, still out of order... 

2024-05-21 12_34_12-Window.png

The conclusion simply is that you cannot get the display you are looking for as long as you are using Prime.

I found a picture of an old PTC Roadmap for Prime from the times when Prime 7 was the current version.

No idea if a more recent roadmap is publicly accessible  and by this I mean without having to fill out a form meticulously with personal data like it would be necessary to be allowed to watch this Virtual Conference  Mathcad Virtual Conference 2023  where, as was said, the current roadmap was also presented.

Werner_E_0-1716330285610.png

You can compare for yourself how many of the features planned for version 9, 10 and 11 already made it into Prime 9&10.
As you can see "hiding keywords" is on this list but I won't bet that all the many features which didn't made it into Prime so far, would show up in Prime 11. It looks like Prime is very very slowly approaching old real Mathcad (where we already had most of those features for ages) without ever reaching it in terms of functionality and usability. A very sad story, indeed.

WC_11081661
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Do you know if there is a way to have expression show the substitution in the right order when not including any keywords or modifiers? Or even better, why does it display in the wrong order when we don’t include any keywords or modifiers? 

@WC_11081661 wrote:

Do you know if there is a way to have expression show the substitution in the right order when not including any keywords or modifiers? Or even better, why does it display in the wrong order when we don’t include any keywords or modifiers? 

Unfortunately no. I have no clue why this happens and how to fix it.

You may contact PTC support to report it as a bug. Not sure if it would help, though.

You also should be aware that the symbolic evaluation without using "explicit" only works the way you want because the involved variables have different units! Because the symbolics does not know anything about units it treats them as unknowns and therefore is not able to combine/simplify them. It will not work if you have quantities defined with the very same unit.

Werner_E_1-1716333575114.png

WC_11081661
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Okay, so there is no workaround.... I can tell I'm not going to like MathCAD Prime already. 

You were right about contacting PTC to report the bug. They just redirected me to post a topic here. 

I was almost hopeful that there was at least a bearable workaround with Prime 10.0, sadly there is not. 

Looks like back to SMath for me....

FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst
(To:WC_11081661)

Maybe you should take a look at Maple Flow 2024 where it is possible to hide commands. This software develops quite fast compared to Prime.

Top Tags