cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Collab gone zombie

ptc-1368288
1-Newbie

Collab gone zombie

Not a joke the search tool is all scrap, and that for quite while. In fact totally useless. I just posted "Pixelation Oversampling", can't retrieve. Not even � smart as a dictionary ! There is alot of vital stuff in this forum, but once the book has finished smoking, the matters are in smoke gone with the wind ! as the search tool in this collab. A tolerated tavern with all accessing roads closed is like a church for scorpions in sand dunes. Amazingly enough that Google might find, but I haven't tried. Tomorrow is another day.

jmG
2 REPLIES 2

Search has been flaky for quite a while, with parts of the collaboratory becoming invisible to the search at random. My guess is that there is some corruption in the indices underlying the search, and that the collaboratory needs to be reorganized and the indices rebuilt. That should be normal periodic maintenance, but the collaboratory was never well supported even under Mathsoft, and it's even worse under PTC (any idea of upgrading the software seems to have been completely squelched).

It may also have become to big. The software provides for moving old messages from the active forums to archives, where they are still accessible but only when specifically requested. But that is also something for normal maintenance, hence not in the cards.
(To:TomGutman)

On 8/10/2009 2:10:07 AM, Tom_Gutman wrote:
== My guess is that there is some corruption in the indices underlying the search, and that the collaboratory needs to be reorganized and the indices rebuilt.

My guess is that the rather large number of message deletions by a certain individual has contributed to that indicial corruption. I first noticed the problem shortly after a mass purge some time ago.

Stuart
Top Tags