cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Convert function name to string?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Convert function name to string?

Noticing in Prime Express that evaluating a function name yields a string, ... 

2020 04 04 A.jpg

I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to save that string to a variable?

(This is something that I asked for since about Mathcad 11 - it would have been quite handy to have when, say, evaluating a list of functions or identifying a function that's stored as an array element)

4 REPLIES 4
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:StuartBruff)

The obvious doesn't work:

LucMeekes_0-1586108645653.png

Unfortunately the variable 'a' is NOT a string, as shown by:

LucMeekes_1-1586108691948.png

(Complains that "This value must be a string")

Instead, a is now (also) the sine function:

LucMeekes_2-1586108827549.png

Note: This works the same way in Mathcad 11:

LucMeekes_4-1586109123948.png

Success!
Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks, Luc.

I already tried your suggestion, even though I knew it wouldn't work (otherwise assigning functions to names wouldn't!!), but I was wondering if there was some operation that would do the job, eg, something along the lines of converting a range variable into a vector, ...

2020 04 06 A.png

You might be able to do it in a program

name <--sin

return name

Constrained to Express, I can only speculate. . .

Hi Fred,

I hope it doesn't work! I frequently use(d) that particular form to generate and return constructed functions.

For example,

powgen(n) := f(x)<-n^x
p10 := powgen(10)
p10(3) = 1000

I've even used it within a program to iterate through a vector of functions to, say, compare their relative performance.

What we could possibly do with is a general purpose, Str(x), that converts its argument into a string regardless of of the argument's type. I wrote a version of Str that 'stringified' not just numbers, but also arrays as I had a need to exchange the data with another application, and also to be able to manipulate the data in its string form.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to get Mathcad to return a string from a function.

Although having said that, I vaguely recall having found a way of doing it in M15 by playing with the xml. I might try finding my old M15 licence details ...

Stuart

Top Tags