cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Coordinate system ?

hfeith
2-Guest

Coordinate system ?

Hi,

I' ve the following : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrations_of_a_circular_membrane

I'm sure that this will also work in Mathcad, but, at the moment, I've no idea how to get this thing running

in polar, cylindrical,, or whatever coordinates, to create the same wikipedia animation.

Have you any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Note that the formula in "Vibration of a cylindrical drum.xmcd.zip" was wrong (copy and paste error ). Sorry for that.

I corrcted it. As I had already guessed, it had something to do with

coordinate transformation. I got it now,and from my point of view the case is closed.

Here is the file :

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:hfeith)

> I'm sure that this will also work in Mathcad

Sure, once you get your math right. But I doubt that anybody will do this for you.

Simply using the last equation in this article and throwing in some arbitrary number obviously doesn't do the job.

Note that the formula in "Vibration of a cylindrical drum.xmcd.zip" was wrong (copy and paste error ). Sorry for that.

I corrcted it. As I had already guessed, it had something to do with

coordinate transformation. I got it now,and from my point of view the case is closed.

Here is the file :

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:hfeith)

Much better 😉

But it should be simply u instead of sin(u) as we are dealing with cylindrical coordinates, not spherical ones.

You can also let Mathcad do the transformation by using the appropriate argument in CreateMesh:

cyl2xyz didn't work, first, though I decided to transform "manually".

The cylindrical coordinates transform is of course the correct one.

In the formula for Mathcad I also replaced J0(...) by Jn(m,...).to do

justice to the general case.

Have a nice day.

Top Tags