cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creating a function with n-arguments?

ptc-4395626
1-Newbie

Creating a function with n-arguments?

Hi,

I am working with Mathcad and want to create a function to calculate the parallel resistance of n resistors. Therefore I would need a function that would accept n arguments.

Currently I have separate functions defined for 2 elements, 3 elements, and 4 elements:

Is there any way to define a function that would evaluate this expression for n elements?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4395626)

Sorry, but it is not possible to create user defined functions that take a variable number of arguments (even though there are built-in functions that take a variable number of arguments). It's one of a long list of long-standing requests. The best (perhaps even only!) thing you can do is what Vladmir shows. That can be simplified a little too:

Parallel.png

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Hello!

Please attach your Mathcad worksheet.

I'd rather not upload the entire worksheet, so I've posted an image of the relevant formulas.

Functions for 2, 3, and 4 elements:

untitled.PNG

Maybe so:

Pic_1.PNG

Another variant:

Pic_2.PNG

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4395626)

Sorry, but it is not possible to create user defined functions that take a variable number of arguments (even though there are built-in functions that take a variable number of arguments). It's one of a long list of long-standing requests. The best (perhaps even only!) thing you can do is what Vladmir shows. That can be simplified a little too:

Parallel.png

May be so:

ohm.png

Yes, including ORIGIN is a very good idea! Necessary, in fact, because I always use ORIGIN=0, and my version of the function would in fact not work correctly in any of my own worksheets

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I think Vladimir's method will allow me to clean things up and make my calculations easier to visualize.

You're welcome.

Richard Jackson wrote:

Yes, including ORIGIN is a very good idea! Necessary, in fact, because I always use ORIGIN=0, and my version of the function would in fact not work correctly in any of my own worksheets

I know that in Europe and in Russia we have in vectors 1-st, 2-d etc elements (ORIGIN=1)

But I heard that in USA - 0-?, 1-st, 2-d etc elements (ORIGIN=0).

Is it true?

Most people here would not call the first element the 0-th, they would call it the 1-st, just as in Europe or Russia.

Richard Jackson wrote:

Most people here would not call the first element the 0-th, they would call it the 1-st, just as in Europe or Russia.

Thanks!

And why is the default that ORIGIN=0

Valery Ochkov wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_(mathematics)

VladimirN. wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_(mathematics)

Sorry, it is not answer.

We have discussed this before, but I can't find the thread (I can almost never find the thread I want in these forums!). Here's the best answer I have seen though: http://developeronline.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-array-index-should-start-from-0.html

We can have in some built-in function of Mathcad 15 (find, min, max, stack etc) n-arguments.

One example max(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...) = ...

The max n is 50 (n = 1-50)

Do you know how much max arguments can we have in same functions in Mathcad Prime? I know more than 50 or 256.

Do you have a full list of this functions with var n of arguments?

Top Tags