cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Creating a vector field plot

rdelascasas
6-Contributor

Creating a vector field plot

I am trying to create a vector field plot following the instruction on the Mathcad 15 help.

I used the example for the case of two matrices.

But the matrices have a suffix (I used 3 and 2 above respectively), this suffix number is not explained on the example for the Mathcad 15 help.

Can someone tell me what the suffixes mean?

thank you in advance,

Rogelio

3 REPLIES 3

I'm Mathcadless at the moment, so can't say precisely why you're seeing 2 and 3, however ...

F is an example of what is referred to a nested array,  that is,  each of its elements is itself an array. In this particular case,  each element is a vector.  So the expression first gets the contents of F's element (i,j) and then gets element 2 or 3 of the resulting vector.

There is no reason in principle why a nested array's elements themselves could not nested arrays,  and so on.

Stuart

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:rdelascasas)

The function V returns a two element vector as a function of x any y (i.e at each coordinate x,y there is a vector, not a scalar, value). So each element of F is a two element vector, in which the first element is the x component of the vector, and the second element is the y component of the vector. As Stuart notes, that means F is a nested array. To create the vector field plot the x components and y components need to be separated into two matrices. So this:

(indices 0 and 1, not 3 and 2, as your show) splits the first and second elements of each vector at coordinate i,j into tow separate matrices.

Edit: Perhaps this will help. This is the top left corner of the matrix F:

rdelascasas
6-Contributor
(To:RichardJ)

I think that I got it.

Thank you very much.

Top Tags