cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Creation of a new Quantity and Unit

Bradomyn-disabl
1-Newbie

Creation of a new Quantity and Unit

5 REPLIES 5

Sounds like you're trying to alter the basic universe that mathcad starts in. Before xml coding the way you did this was to create a new template with your new unit defines in terms of the built-ins. You can put these definitions in an area at the top of the sheet, collapse the area and remove the icon and line so it "disappears." If you save that as a template, every time you open a new sheet your units will be there (but not shown) ready for use.

I haven' tried to do what you're describing for the same reason I don't script--I'm a coward. But the old way will still work in 14.

Good luck

Fred Kohlhepp
fkohlhepp@sikorsky.com

On 2/19/2010 2:02:39 PM, Bradomyn wrote:

>import McdUnits as McdUnitSystemSI Mass,Length,Time,Current,Temperature,Luminosity,Substance,Coding);

I have never tried to do this because it makes the Mathcad sheets completely non-portable, but that line implies you are trying to add a new dimension. I don't think you can do that. You can add a new unit, or a new quantity, but you cannot add a new base dimension.

Richard
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:RichardJ)

Much like Fred said. Use the search and look up some help that Tom assisted me with. It had to do with Decibles. He showed me how to add the unit definition at the top of the sheet which I then collapsed and "hid". This made the sheet portable as anyone opening the sheet had the definition built-in.
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:ELSID)

You can't create another independent "unit"
(actually a dimension).

You can only create new units for composites of the
existing dimensions.

Have a look at the long discussions about 'Angles'
as a dimension and the desire for them (the units
of) to be available.

The only suggestion is to (ab)use the currency unit
and make that into your coding (bits) dimension. It
is the only spare dimension available.

Oh, and send in a request for more (user definable)
dimensions.....

Philip Oakley

Sometime I do in my worksheets so:
kg_g:=kg - one unit of mass (one kg of gas)
kg_ws:=cd - other unit of mass (one kg of water and steam)
But I (We?) need so in Mathcad:
http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/Mathcad_14/Chapter2rus/2-21-Combined-Cycle-Area.PNG

We can do so bit:=cd if You do not use cd in your sheet!

Val
http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/v_ochkov.htm
Announcements

Top Tags