cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Defining division

awibroe
14-Alexandrite

Defining division

Can anyone tell me how to define for example x/y as a value I.e 1? This is in context of a ratio. So I'm looking to define a ratio so that when I insert it in a formula MathCAD knows what the ratio value is?

WHen hen for example I write x/y I'm not allowed to define this I.e pressing : does nothing.

Cheers A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Does the "x/y", then deleting the "" work?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I think that what you demand is possible (the variable name will look like x/y, not like a fraction), but the method to achieve a variable name like x/y is quite different wether you use Mathcad or Prime. So you would have to state which version (Mathcad 15 or Prime) you are using.

The only way I can get this in Prime is to launch Mathcad 15.

In 15:  the key combination  "cntrl+shift+k" tells Mathcad to accept any character as variable name, and x/y becomes your variable.

Save the file, open Prime, and convert the file to Prime.  The variable x/y will survive the conversion.

But I can't figure out how to create it in Prime.

Does the "x/y", then deleting the "" work?

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:nas0k)

WOW!

I never would have thought of that!

I think Werner posted a solution awhile back using this method. The things we learn from this collaborator;)

nas0k
7-Bedrock

ops, callabortory.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Norm Schutzkus wrote:

I think Werner posted a solution awhile back using this method. The things we learn from this collaborator;)

And I learned it from the collaboratory, too.

I just don't know whom to give credit for mentioning it first.

awibroe
14-Alexandrite
(To:awibroe)

Cheers Everyone! the "" method certainly seems to work in Prime.

Question is, where would I be without the User Community???

I tell you where, still struggling with Excel...

Cheers,

Andy.

Top Tags