cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Determining Maximum Values per Row in a Matrix

AATaylor
5-Regular Member

Determining Maximum Values per Row in a Matrix

Hi, 

I would like to write a program that determines the maximum values per row in a i by j matrix.

I have written the program below, but I am struggling to get it to work automatically, without having to manually add in the number of columns in the max() function on line 3 - please see attached. I thought the second example in the attachment maxrows2(VEC) was the same as maxrows(VEC); however it seems not....maxrows.PNG

I had an idea to try and split the matrix into column vectors and do it that way, as per the link below 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Questions/Need-to-select-the-maximum-of-two-column-matrices-and-return-as/m-p/334430#M130735

However I am also having trouble writing a program to automatically split an i by j matrix into j columns!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I just stumbled over your question and while I am not sur if you still need the help, here it is.

Your maxrows2 will always return the last column of the input matrix.

Here is a solution which automatically will deal with any number of rows. As Mathcad 15 does not provide a row selector, we have to transpose the matrix and use the column selector.

b.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I just stumbled over your question and while I am not sur if you still need the help, here it is.

Your maxrows2 will always return the last column of the input matrix.

Here is a solution which automatically will deal with any number of rows. As Mathcad 15 does not provide a row selector, we have to transpose the matrix and use the column selector.

b.png

AATaylor
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Yes, thank you - I hadn't found a solution for this, so I just did it the long way. This is really useful thank you.

Although, if you wouldn't mind explaining, what does the <c> operator do in M^<c>?

Many thanks and kind regards

the <c> operator is the column selector which I mentioned. You get it by typing Ctrl 6 or via the matric palette.

It returns the column number c, a column vector. So this column vector is fed into the max functions which returns the max number of that vector.

Mathcad 15 an below don't offer a row selector (Prime does - one of the few improvements in Prime) and thats the reason I had to transpose the matrix first.

B.png

Top Tags