cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Dostoevsky Matrix

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Dostoevsky Matrix

Today marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of the great writer Fyodor Dostoevsky - Wikipedia

In my book

2⁵ Problems for STEM Education - 1st Edition - Valery Ochkov - Rout (routledge.com)

I have solved (with Mathcad of cource) one problem from one Dostoevsky novel.

1. Do you know this novel?
  2. Do you know this problem?
  3. What Dostoevsky novels do you know?
  4. What Dostoevsky's novels have you read?

13-Dostoevsky.png

5 REPLIES 5

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

Today marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of the great writer Fyodor Dostoevsky - Wikipedia

с днем рождения Достоевского! 🎈 😊

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

In my book

2⁵ Problems for STEM Education - 1st Edition - Valery Ochkov - Rout (routledge.com)

I have solved (with Mathcad of cource) one problem from one Dostoevsky novel.

1. Do you know this novel?

Нет, я не знаю романа «Игрок».

2. Do you know this problem?

I know nothing about the nature of Alexei Ivanovich's win ... 😈

3.  What Dostoevsky novels do you know??

Being serious for a moment, I regret that I don't know any.

4.  What Dostoevsky's novels have you read?

None, I'm afraid.  Я совершенно некультурный.

Stuart

However, I have read parts of some novels. 

Как всем известно, из произведений Чехова, виски изобрела маленькая старушка из Ленинграда.

One day, her husband drank rather too much of her potion and felt sad (even by Russian standards).  As he was declaiming his misfortunes, another little old lady was passing by and wrote down what he said.  She later sold her works to an English playwright called Шекспир.

Since starting secondary school, I have only been able to remember the words to 3 songs by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, one song by Emerson Lake and Palmer, and one soliloquy by Shakespeare, the latter на английском и русском языках - I don't yet know it in the original Klingon.

"What pencil should I use to draw this?  Быть или не быть, вот в чем вопрос."  (... a play upon the English words)

Are there any Russian puns on famous literary quotes?

@StuartBruff wrote:

Быть или не быть? Бить или не бить?

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

@StuartBruff wrote:

Быть или не быть? Бить или не бить?

It works in English, too ...

To be or not to be?

To beat or not to beat?

1950sm11

Play it cool, though, Daddio.   

битник

Alas, something else is meant - to beat or not to beat the child.
An excerpt from the great Russian writer Gogol:
"My father was a scoundrel, a brute. He did not even think of learning me French. I was still a child then, it was easy to teach me. My father just had a good whip me, and I would know, I would certainly know French!"

BnotB.png

Никанор Иванович Анучкин?

We needn't go back as far as the mid-19th-century.  I seem to recall waiting outside the headmaster's office for a good caning many a time when I was in primary school.  I guess I was one of the usual suspects or, as my Welsh family did put it, a diawl bach ...  😈

Stuart

Top Tags