cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Draw contour from scattered x, y, z data points (topography)

MB_10858448
2-Guest

Draw contour from scattered x, y, z data points (topography)

I am interested in Mathcad for the sole purpose of drawing contours based on spot elevations that are scattered (x, y, z), i.e. not in a unique grid. I'm testing Mathcad Prime 9 for this.

I saw online that previous edition of Mathcad could do this, but I am unable to find the functionality in Mathcad Prime. Could you guide me to the speicifc process that I can use to achieve this. In summary, I have data points scattered in 3d space, with each data point having x, y, z coordinates. I want Mathcad to draw contours in 2D (axes representing x and y, with contours drawn between z values). An example of a process is described here, but I cannot find this functionality in Mathcad Prime (see Slide 53 and later):  https://www.foundationperformance.org/pastpresentations/ClarkPresSlides13August14.pdf

The xyz data I am trying to get contours for is currently in an excel file, attached.

Looking forward to receiving your feedback!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:MB_10858448)
3 REPLIES 3
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Brilliant! Thank you!!

Is there a way to choose contour intervals ourselves?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Yes, that's possible.

Click on the first value below the colour bar. You can change its value. You can also change the next value and the last.

The difference between the first and second values sets the step, the last value sets.... well the last value.

Likewise you can change the scaling of the x- and y- axes.

Success!
Luc

Top Tags