cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Euler in Mathcad

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Euler in Mathcad

Mathcad has many functions and constants named after mathematicians and scientists - Chebyshev, Runge, Kutta, Kelvin, Sinus, Ampere, etc.
But I did not find there the name of the greatest mathematician - Euler. We need to fix this and make the Euler function built-in Mathcad for the simplest numerical solution of the ODE.
Especially now, due to the high calculation speed, there is a return to simple algorithms - KISS!

Fig-8-12.pngFig-8-13-1000.pngFig-8-14-10000.pngFig-8-14-PhPortrait.png

12 REPLIES 12

Euler's grave in St. Petersburg and Mathcad Calculation Server

Euler-Monument.pngEuler-R-A.png

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

Mathcad has many functions and constants named after mathematicians and scientists - Chebyshev, Runge, Kutta, Kelvin, Sinus, Ampere, etc.

Sinus?

Its not named after a mathematician or scientist!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Sinus comes from the latin word sinus, which means:    bay,    gulf,    bent surface,    lap,    bosom,      breast.

Especially that last translation gives special meaning to cosinus...

Luc

Sorry, I put Sinus on the list on purpose to test you! This is what I sometimes do with my students to see if they are following my lecture.😉

When I was a student, the first classroom equipped with TVs appeared at my university. It was an electrical engineering classroom. On this occasion, even a note appeared in the main Soviet newspaper. The note ended like this: "The lecturer presses a button and a Hysteresis loop appears on the TV screen." The word hysteresis was capitalized. Colleagues approached this lecturer and asked: "How is old Hysteresis doing there?"

Гист.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

According to Wikipedia, Euler has a number, a constant and a characteristic named after him:

Euler's number is: e=2.718...

Euler's constant is: gamma=0.5772

Euler's characteristic is: 2, the sum of the numbers of vertices and faces minus edges of a polyhedron.

Luc

In Wikipedia but not in Mathcad 😪

It will be good to have Euler built-in function for ODE solution in Mathcad.

Not for using but for memory! 

A propose

In Russia e=2.7 1828 1828... is a Leo Tolstoy constant. This writer was born in 1828.

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

In Wikipedia but not in Mathcad 😪

Are you sure? 😉

Werner_E_0-1669220383753.png

ValeryOchkov_0-1669234730657.png

Thats not Mathcad, thats Prime - a different software.

I agree that gamma is a mathematical constant and if you really care (but why would you?) you may open a support case and hope for the best 😉

There is the gamma function in Mathcad. Гамма функция.

But really it is not the gamma function - it is the Euler's gamma function

Г.png

But really it is not the gamma function - it is the Euler's gamma function

???

Even Primes help knows that (because it was copied from real Mathcad).

Werner_E_0-1669262942884.png

So I really don't understand what you are ranting about and what you think may be wrong ????

BTW, in my opinion its quite silly to name places, streets, constants, methods after "famous" people to honour them. In the case of politicians, generals, etc. there are always later times when people are critical of these people because of their statements and deeds and demand that they be renamed.
In the case of mathematicians, scientists, and literary figures, there are always countries, such as Russia in particular, that cannot stand non-Russians being honored in this way and rename these constants and methods after great Russian scientists, etc. (even though I don't really like to believe that, as you wrote, Euler's constant e is traded in Russia as Leo Tolstoy constant 😉
But anyway - why this nonsensical name cult at all?

Just my two cents worth ...

Top Tags