cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Filter Characteristics Calculation

mpaschold
1-Newbie

Filter Characteristics Calculation

Hello,

i want to calculate following filter in series:

LC+RC+LC

series_filter_old.JPG

spice simulation result:

series_filter_old_result.JPG

with following transfer functions:

filter1:

tf1.JPG

filter2:

tf2.JPG

filter3:

tf3.JPG

Could i multiply all three transfer functions in laplace?

tf_whole.JPG

mcd_result.JPG

As result i get a different magnitude like in spice simulation. Could it be that transfer function of all in series shall calculate in a different way?

Second Question: How can i display the phase without overdue of 180° in the diagram?

Thanks in advance.

Michel

3 REPLIES 3
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:mpaschold)

Hi Michel,

You can't simply multiply  the three transfer functions. Doing so, you obtain a transfer function that isn't the one corresponding to three cascaded filters

Insted to obtain a transfer function that is the one corresponding to three cascade filters, you must place a buffer between each filter.

In other words, see the bloch diagram:

filters cascade.jpg

Results for R=21.3mOhm

filter 0.jpg

Results assuming R=213m_Ohm:

filter 0.jpg

DaveWooff
5-Regular Member

A few initial points:

• the caps directly across the voltage source do nothing for the filter , they simply present an additional load on the voltage source so you can remove them for the analysis of the filter
  • to simplify things you should consider the parallel caps as single components

I would normally use a nodal analysis and solve for the various circuit currents using matrices (which is what Mathcad is good at).  Here is a useful link to this technique: https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Electric_Circuit_Analysis/Mesh_Analysis

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Assuming that the T0200 device shown in your first circuit diagram is a 213 mOhm resistor (you indicate that the middle part of the filter is an RC section), the graphs you provide of the simulation do not match with the behaviour of the circuit. The phase characteristic you have is showing an increase in phase shift from about 12 kHz to 120 kHz. With the circuit as shown the phase only decreases.

In Mathcad the circuit can be analyzed with:

Then:

And we can set:

Which gives:

From which the transfer characteristic is found with:

giving:

Now we can plot:

Success!

Luc

Announcements

Top Tags