cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Generator Capability Curve

MD_10068523
3-Visitor

Generator Capability Curve

Can someone please explain how the right side (RHS) of the equation below represents active power (P)?

Explain P: = PFUL*MVA + (MVA - PFUL*MVA) *i/N

given N = 2000, and

I run from zero to N.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ppal
17-Peridot
(To:MD_10068523)

There Are Two Types Of People in this world: those who can extrapolate incomplete data

ppal_0-1678395673366.jpeg

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Going to need more than that!

Is there a mathcad sheet with definitions of terms?

PFUL stands for Upper Power factor.

MVA stands MVA of the generator.

Thanks.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

If "MVA" is "MVA of the generator", then "MVA" is "MVA of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator of the generator......"

In other words, a circular definition. That doesn't seem right.

So what is "MVA of the generator"?

Can you provide a source for the expression that you want to have explained?

Success!
Luc

Once the Plag is calculated, is used to calculate Qlag as shown below: 

MD_10068523_0-1678070051399.png

Which I have no problems with. 

Thanks 

Pick representative values for PFUL and MVA:

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1678042186378.png

But this doesn't make sense,  See file attached.

Hello Fred, 

Thanks for the support. 

I am actually looking for someone to confirm the Active Power expression. 

My thinking was the first expression is the initial active power, the incremental values are calculated using the expression in the brackets. 

Thanks 

I'm not sure what you're looking for.  You typed an expression that would generate a vector in Mathcad (i/N where i is a range variable creates a vector) and I showed you how to plot it.  Your dialog with LucMeekes indicates you're looking into active and reactive power in AC circuits.

Power Factor depends on circuit parameters and frequency of the AC power.  Attached is a short discussion of power factors, phase angles and AC circuit components.  I'm not sure it addresses what you're looking for, but it may shed some light, and it was fun to build!  Prime 4 Express.

Hello Fred,

Thanks for the support.

My question was more of a programming issues than theory.

I was looking for the explanation of how the relation below gives real/active power :

Plag = MVA*PF + (MVA – MVA*PF)*(i/N) .

where PF is power factor

This is because as far as I can remember, P = S*PF, and (MVA – MVA*PF) is (MVA – P)*(i/N).

I cannot readily see how the term (MVA – P)*(i/N) adds to MVA* PF to give active/real power in the light of the expression S = P + jQ ,

Again, thanks much for all the support.

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1678383926201.png

But that's not true:

Fred_Kohlhepp_1-1678384853162.png

ppal
17-Peridot

ppal_0-1678151243323.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ppal)

Yes, but:

LucMeekes_0-1678214258029.png

and, suppose it's meant to sum over all i, then:

LucMeekes_1-1678214312017.png

Luc

As you can see the helpers here are wildly guessing about the meaning of the formula.

One suggests "i" to be the index of sum (which is not shown in your post), another suggests it may be the imaginary unit.

So it sure would help if you provide a source for the formula as Liuc already demanded, so we could see how it really should look like and what the exact meaning of the used variables should be. Where does the formula stem from? Can you provide a link or the like?

ppal
17-Peridot

There Are Two Types Of People in this world: those who can extrapolate incomplete data

ppal_0-1678395673366.jpeg

Top Tags