cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Getting pnorm() for 1s,2s and 3s only

JBlackhole
16-Pearl

Getting pnorm() for 1s,2s and 3s only

To all

I am trying to do a sanity check against a xls doc set-up by a colleague. It uses the xls function NORMDIST()

The aim is to get the cum. Distribution for 1s, 2s and 3s (s=sigma) for a mean=0 and std dev. = 1

The xls was set up as follows

Sigmavalue=1 a=2*NORMDIST(sigmavalue,0,1)-1

Sigmavalue=2 b=2*NORMDIST(sigmavalue,0,1)-(1+a)

Sigmavalue=3 c=1-(a+b)

I believe the mcad function pnorm() does the same but I can’t quite figure out how to get the pnorm value for 1s, 2s and 3s without
setting up the same equations (see below). I f I do I get the same answers but I think there is a quicker way of doing it

a=2*pnorm(1,0,1)-1

b=2*pnorm(2,0,1)-1-a

c= 1-(a+b)

Thanks

Regards

JXB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:JBlackhole)

Then I guess I would create a function (which of course could also be done in Excel, but only by resorting to VBA)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

It's not clear to me what you are trying to calculate. 2*pnorm(1,0,1)-1 is the total probability between -1 sigma and 1 sigma. 2*pnorm(2,0,1)-1 is the total probability between -2 sigma and 2 sigma. 2*pnorm(3,0,1)-1 is the total probability between -3 sigma and 3 sigma. So what you calculate as a is the total probability between -1 sigma and 1 sigma. What you calculate as b is the total probability between -1 sigma and -2 sigma plus the total probability between 1 sigma and 2 sigma. Is that what you want? What you calculate as c has nothing to do with 3 sigma, because the cumulative probability to 3 sigma is not 1. Perhaps you want 2*pnorm(3,0,1)-(a+b)?

HI Richard

Apologies for the lack of clarity in my 1st email. I am after the probability of a "sigma range"

a = total probability between 0 sigma and 1 sigma (x2)

b = total probability between 1 sigma and 2 sigma (x2)

c = total probability between 2 sigma and 3 sigma (x2) (or hsoudl it be bet. 2 & infinite?)

This is done so that a value (stress) is multiplied by the probability (at a later stage). Mind you thinking about it I am not sure why this value are not "hard coded". These probability are fixed value after all (for mean=0,st dev=1), are they not? p(1) =0.68269 ; p(2)=.27181; p(3) = 0.04550

JXB

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Then I guess I would create a function (which of course could also be done in Excel, but only by resorting to VBA)

Thanks for the suggestion. It may do for the moment. Looks like I convince myself there was "quick" way of getting such probabilities. Maybe I was confused with another function!

Top Tags