cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Graphs: exporting to Word

jackpol-disable
1-Newbie

Graphs: exporting to Word

When I copy a graph to Word, it slides up to the top edge of the "paper", from which it cannot be dislodged, if there is text present. It is in several ways quite unmanageable.
Word has some maneuvers such as various word wraps, but I can't find one that works.

Once it is in word I embellish the graph by the following method:
In Mathcad type your text to be affixed to the curve, such as "v/c", (using quote marks to make text and get a one-layered version). Make bold if desired. Copy to clipboard and go to word using \edit\paste special\as bitmap.
That way you can anoint the otherwise sparse graph,although the bitmap is not as sharp as could be.

Surely someone must have perfected the correct way, of dozens of ways, of exporting graphs and then embellishing them there. Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14

Embellishing is quite personal, no comment. You don't manipulate Word correctly, you can have the graph wherever you want, and have text on the side of the graph. Practice Word.

jmG

I usually export as a DIB, and it'll behave as any other bitmap after that.

TTFN,
Eden

What I have used for years to manage graph and pictures in my work with Word, is first to Insert TextFrame and then Insert the picture into the frame.

With this procedure I have been able to do what ever is needed to do with the picture. As was stated in the first message; if picture is Inserted directly to Word, the behaviour of the picture is more or less unpredictable.

Regards Matti

I use the paste special as an image too.

However, lately I've been using Excel graphs more frequently. The Excel region can be used to "Export" results out into a worksheet. Excel graphs are much more "user friendly".

Philip

Ditto, I rarely use Mathcad graphs, unless I'm just too darn lazy to port the data to Excel. Excel's plotting capabilities are substantially better than Mathcad's.

Note that Mathcad, at one point in time, came with Axum: http://www.mpassociates.gr/software/distrib/science/mathsoft/axumle.html It's unfortunate that Mathsoft never saw fit to incorporate Axum's graphing capabilities into Mathcad.

TTFN,
Eden
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:IRstuff)

On 10/5/2009 1:25:37 AM, eden_mei wrote:
== Note that Mathcad, at one point in time, came with Axum:
== http://www.mpassociates.gr/software/distrib/science/mathsoft/axumle.html It's unfortunate that Mathsoft never saw fit to incorporate Axum's graphing capabilities into Mathcad.

"unfortunate"? I must point out that under well known international guidelines, only Brits are allowed to use understatement.

I still dig out Axum every now and again.

Stuart

On 9/8/2009 9:19:24 AM, jackpol wrote:

>When I copy a graph to Word, it slides up to the top edge of the "paper", from which it cannot be dislodged, if there is text present. It is in several ways quite unmanageable.

>Word has some maneuvers such as various word wraps, but I can't find one that works.

Hi. I think that your problem is that the image is pasted into word at the front of the text. You must to search the dog in the picture toolbar and then select "in line with the text" option.

Notice also that the nine marks in the image for inline images are black rectangles, but for floating are white circles.

Regards. Alvaro

I usually print the Mathcad to a PDF file, and then copy/paste the graph to the Word/Powerpoint file.

On 10/5/2009 12:45:32 PM, proybal wrote:
>I usually print the Mathcad to
>a PDF file, and then
>copy/paste the graph to the
>Word/Powerpoint file.

One of the worst procedure you could invent, the *,PDF passage is quite a destructive transformation and you are just pasting a very large size image into PP. You would lose no information at all, especially for graphic elements if you would select the Mathcad item, paste in Paint and do some work on it if required, copy and pate in WinGrab, reduce to 256 colors level then paste to destination.

jmG

>One of the worst procedure you could
>invent, the *,PDF passage is quite a
>destructive transformation and you are
>just pasting a very large size image
>into PP. You would lose no information
>at all, especially for graphic elements
>if you would select the Mathcad item,
>paste in Paint and do some work on it if
>required, copy and pate in WinGrab,
>reduce to 256 colors level then paste to
>destination.

Step 1 save to PDF
Step 2 copy image I want
Step 3 Paste into file I want image

Jim G
Step 1 copy to MS Paint
Step 2 manipulte what you want
Step 3 copy/paste to WinGrab
Step 4 reduce color level
Step 5 paste into file you want image

I will stick with my worst procedure possible - Thank you

>I will stick with my worst procedure possible - Thank you<<br> _________________________

Not so good an idea, not doing the best in simpler stages. The technique that I proposed preserves all the characteristics of sharp graphs, for eventual raster to vector conversion. And by same token preserves all the features needed for also eventual digitizing !!!

jmG

Totally depends on the desired result. I often copy/paste from PDF for simple sketches or when image quality isn't required.

Glad you have a new tool for your toolbox!

Preston

>You must to search the dog in the picture toolbar and then select "in line with the text" option<.

It did work for me having some picture in the body of the main text and even text on the right of the image.

jmG

> ...although the bitmap is not as sharp as could be<.

It can't because the clipboard bitmap is converted into the Windows metafile format ... a lossy & lousy reduction that is essentially based on raster to vector conversion. But even if a Mathcad item looks fine, none has enough definition for the raster to vector conversion. A 1024 x 768 screen display has only 1024*768 pieces of information. For a raster to vector to start readable conversion, the definition of the raster must be in the order of the human eye resolution, i.e: 240 ... 290 DPI

jmG
Top Tags