cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to find new documents?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

How to find new documents?

If I look at the "All Recent Mathcad Content" widget, it does not show either of these documents, which were both posted yesterday:

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-1364#comment-1552

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-1362#comment-1553

So how aew we supposed to catch new documents when they are posted? I have no idea how many I have missed!

17 REPLIES 17
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard,

Its ridiculous. You have to select the 'Mathcad Usage'' sub forum. This should be shown on the 'Overview' on the general Mathcad page.

I have just selected to follow the community and start receiving e-mail notifications, hopefully this will solve the problem.

Mike

Mike,

You don't understand the problem. Visits aren't collected, visits aren't all listed, visits are shuffled within the threads." Mathcad usage" may include other conferences but they they don't. And if you aren't paid to seat chatting for 8 hours and spend so much time to torture yourself visiting all and everything and the entire threads, then it goes lost. Assume a thread was named "Go to hell" this morning, to morrow there are 10 replies, I'm out for a week and on the way back many replies have been shuffled within the thread, I'm not going to read 49 replies not serially listed ... and doing that for each and every Mathcad conferences. This community has to work like a queue, all conferences confounded like a real queue of males/females/kids... queueing to pass security before embarking. What's so complicated to make it this way.

Jean

... you see what I mean by shuffled:

my reply to you is now before my reply to Richard. Just figure threads that lasted 200 visits, not possible to keep track.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:jeanGiraud)

jean Giraud wrote:

... you see what I mean by shuffled:

my reply to you is now before my reply to Richard. Just figure threads that lasted 200 visits, not possible to keep track.

100% understand Jean. It's a struggle keeping track to say the least.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Jean,

I fully understand the problem as I'm having the same trouble navigating through the site as the rests of the members.

Instead of writing -

< hopefully this will solve the problem.

Maybe should have wrote -

< hopefully this can act as a workaround until PTC sort the issue.

I can't understand why PTC didn't choose to mirror the old collab in terms of indicating new threads/posts.

Mike

... simple: PTC shopped for the cheapest and thinking they had to invent a "collaboratory" for Mathcad and completely ignoring that there was one working near perfect for 10 years, at least perfect in terms of "collaboration" ... No, they went for a FaceBook chat box.

I can't understand why PTC didn't choose to mirror the old collab in terms of indicating new threads/posts.

Because apparently the software is no longer available.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Even if that software isn't no longer available they still could have adopted the same principle within this forum.

Mike

This software doesn't support that structure though.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Fair enough.

There have been enough suggestions by yourself and other members to enable PTC to rectify the problems on the forum.

Mike

There have been enough suggestions by yourself and other members to enable PTC to rectify the problems on the forum.

In theory. I have no idea how configurable this software is though. Maybe they don't want to implement those suggestions (or don't know how to), but maybe the Jive software is too restrctive and it's not even feasible.

You have to select the 'Mathcad Usage'' sub forum.

That's not going to work if the document is posted under a different forum, say "Other Subjects".

I have just selected to follow the community and start receiving e-mail notifications, hopefully this will solve the problem.

Same comment as above, and your inbox might get rather full with that strategy!

You commented on the documents though, so where did you see that they were posted?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

You commented on the documents though, so where did you see that they were posted?

I usually stay in the 'Overview' tap in the Mathcad community. I can see all recent Mathcad content within there.

Mike

I usually stay in the 'Overview' tap in the Mathcad community. I can see all recent Mathcad content within there.

But that was my point. They didn't show up in the "All Recent Mathcad Content" widget. Strangely, they seem to be there now, and it says they were posted yesterday. Since today is te 10th, and they were posted on the 8th, something is wrong with the times. And I am sure they were not listed yesterday, because that's why I started this thread.

I guess if they appear eventually I will just live with that.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Richard Jackson wrote:

But that was my point. They didn't show up in the "All Recent Mathcad Content" widget. Strangely, they seem to be there now, and it says they were posted yesterday. Since today is te 10th, and they were posted on the 8th, something is wrong with the times. And I am sure they were not listed yesterday, because that's why I started this thread.

I guess if they appear eventually I will just live with that.

I commented on them yesterday but didn't see them in the "All Recent Mathcad Content" widget on the 8th. Seems very because you created your thread several hours after the documents in question where posted by Mona.

Confused!!!

Richard Jackson wrote:

If I look at the "All Recent Mathcad Content" widget, it does not show either of these documents, which were both posted yesterday:

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-1364#comment-1552

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-1362#comment-1553

So how are we supposed to catch new documents when they are posted? I have no idea how many I have missed!

New documents or visits, we can't keep track because they aren't piled serially by time stamp. Eden had the same point with "Mark read". I had the same point many times. The question is: when is it going to work by priorities ? The serial list of all and any Mathcad stuff is immediate like Akiva is # 1 priority.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

New documents or visits, we can't keep track because they aren't piled serially by time stamp.

They are actually in the same order they would have been in the Collaboratory. The problem is that without the browser pane on the left it's very hard to see the structure of the threading.

You can make the posts appear serially by going to "edit preferences" under your profile and changing the "Discussion View Style" to flat. Then you lose the threading though, so IMHO it's not any better, it's just different.

Top Tags