cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to format the result of symbol calculation?

ptc-4622978
1-Newbie

How to format the result of symbol calculation?

I am using Mathcad Prime 2.0. My question is listed in the attached .mcdx file. I try to simplify the result by using Format menu, but it doesn't work.

Thanks,

Simon

2 REPLIES 2

Modifying the output of symbolic calculations can be very tricky.

A way which worked is to use the modifyer "float,2" but you should be aware that this would mean severe reduction of precision.

In Prime we do not have the possibility as in Mathcad 15 preserve calculation precision and reduce the number of decimals forthe output only.

I have tried with "simplify" and "simplyfy,max" with some success but as soon I use "collect" the big powers of ten are here again 😞

"expand" should od part of the job you demanded.

Couldn't let my fingers off from this one. Its really a good example on how much we would need more tools and modifiers to get control over the outcome of symbolic evaluations.

I recreated the file in Mathcad15 as workflow is much better there and i don't lose that much time waiting for Prime to react. The results should be applyable to Prime2 as there was made no significant change to the symbolic engine. The exception is the result formatting applying the numeric settings to the symbolic outcome which is missig in Prime. I'm not going to convert it to Prime but simply attach a pdf.

We see a some descrepancy: expand doing the job of factor, but only if not preceded by any other modifer. Even a second expand destroys the outcome.

I don't understand why the symbolic refuses so persevering to cancel those high powers of ten, which would be only logical and would not mean a loss of precision anyway. Somebody having a good idea what the reason could be?

formatsymb1.png

Top Tags