cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

How to solve these ODEs

Asad
6-Contributor

How to solve these ODEs

I need to solve these ODEs using MathCAD Prime 2.0. Image of the ODEs is attached.

With initial and end boundary conditions:

v(0)= 0.2

xf (0)= 0.011

Pf (0.34 @ end/exit) = 1.01*10^5

Tf (0) = 80

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Asad)

As Fred wrote, you have a few things to clear up, before this can be solved. With Mathcad (Prime) your best way is to try a solve block.

One other observation:

If I interpret right (in Mathcad, as well as in mathematics, x is different from X), your first two equations only deal with x.f(z) and v.f(z) and their derivatives, and you have boundary conditions for x.f(0) and v.f(0). That should allow you to solve x.f(z) and v.f(z) independently of the rest.

The fourth equation gives you P.f(z) once v.f(z) is known.

That leaves the third equation...

I suggest you start entering the equations into Prime and reply back here in case you get stuck. Then be sure to attach the Prime sheet, not just a picture.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

You have quite a few undefined terms (constants?)

These might be solvable numerically but all constants would need to be defined.   A symbolic solution is beyond Mathcad. 

And how many of the terms on the left hand side of your third equation are functions (or is that three constants times the derivative of temperature?)

Asad
6-Contributor
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

Thank you for replying. I discussed it with a professor I know, and he proposed a solution which I will try. And yes you are correct I did not add the details of all the constants, my apologies but as for now I would close this question.

And also, the third equation is confusing about whether all the variables are inside the derivative. I would have to derive another one in its place.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

As Fred wrote, you have a few things to clear up, before this can be solved. With Mathcad (Prime) your best way is to try a solve block.

One other observation:

If I interpret right (in Mathcad, as well as in mathematics, x is different from X), your first two equations only deal with x.f(z) and v.f(z) and their derivatives, and you have boundary conditions for x.f(0) and v.f(0). That should allow you to solve x.f(z) and v.f(z) independently of the rest.

The fourth equation gives you P.f(z) once v.f(z) is known.

That leaves the third equation...

I suggest you start entering the equations into Prime and reply back here in case you get stuck. Then be sure to attach the Prime sheet, not just a picture.

Success!
Luc

Asad
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

Thank you for replying. I discussed it with a professor I know, and he proposed a solution which I will try. And yes you are correct I did not add the details of all the constants, my apologies but as for now I would close this question.

And also, the third equation is confusing about whether all the variables are inside the derivative. I would have to derive another one in its place

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Thank you for this personal reply.

But it was not necessary, there's no need to copy responses in the same thread. Your reply to Fred is sufficient information.

If you want to close this discussion, please do so (close it), possibly by marking it answered.

If you ever want to discuss this topic again, you could make a refernce to this discussion, if that helps.

Success!

Luc

Top Tags