cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Inserting Units not giving right answer

JW_9781974
6-Contributor

Inserting Units not giving right answer

I am trying to achieve result with units however as soon as I input the units the answer changes 

Am I missing something 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

Stuart is correct, but:

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1638277070885.png

Quite right, Fred.  An oversight on my part, I'm afraid.

I haven't thought about it in a while, so I just did a quick recap and this is my take on what's going on.  🤔

It goes without saying that I stand to be corrected ... ☹️

2021 11 30 j.png

Stuart

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@JW_9781974 wrote:

I am trying to achieve result with units however as soon as I input the units the answer changes 

Am I missing something 

1. rpm is 1/time
  2. Mathcad internally stores units as SI.  Calculations in different quantity systems that are made without all the appropriate units will likely lead to errors.

StuartBruff_0-1638266199112.png

Stuart

Stuart is correct, but:

Good points...I happened to have created a sheet many years ago for rotational topics related to this thread and attached it - in real Mathcad and Prime. In addition to torque, power and rotational speed calculations, the additional point I make in the file is relating rotational speed at a radius to "linear" speed, as built-in units pose a slight challenge here. I hope you'll find this useful as well.

Cheers,

CK

I'm attempting to accomplish result with units anyway when I input the units the appropriate response changes

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

Stuart is correct, but:

Quite right, Fred.  An oversight on my part, I'm afraid.

I haven't thought about it in a while, so I just did a quick recap and this is my take on what's going on.  🤔

It goes without saying that I stand to be corrected ... ☹️

2021 11 30 j.png

Stuart

Top Tags