cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Integral won't converge to solution

swahlgren
1-Newbie

Integral won't converge to solution

I have an integral that won't converge to a solution for a specific set of variables (the solutions over a range of variables are sought). I've attached the whole worksheet and thus a lot in it isn't relevant to the solution so just skip to the bottom the find the error-riddled integral.

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to help out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok.  It's a numerical sizing problem.  The solution, strange though it may seem, is simply to put the 2/E term inside the integral!!

See attached.

Alan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

You need to upload the .txt file input at the start as well or the rest of the file won't calculate.

Alan

Opps, sorry. Changed the worksheet so the txt isn't needed.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:swahlgren)

Because you are passing an range variable to the integral. Firstly pass a integer to the integral and change the IF statements to integers.

That can't be it because it works just fine except for i=j.

Yes, it's not the range variables that are the problem.

See my reply below.

Alan

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:swahlgren)

Yes sorry maybe I was a little hasty with my response.

You have some singularities under the square root sign in the h function.  One possible solution attached (you'll need to decide if this approach is acceptable for your scenario).

Alan

I'm not sure that's it cause it works just fine except for i=j. I can't look at you suggestion right now but I'll take a look when I get back to work tomorrow.

Ok.  It's a numerical sizing problem.  The solution, strange though it may seem, is simply to put the 2/E term inside the integral!!

See attached.

Alan

It works! Much obliged. Mathcad sometimes works in mysterious ways.

Top Tags