cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Integrate with logarithmically spaced points

ptc-2141978
1-Newbie

Integrate with logarithmically spaced points

Hello, I am interested to see if anyone has a tip on how to numerically integrate a data set with logarithmically spaced points. I have only two column arrays (not a function), y and x. x is filled with logarithmically spaced points and y is the evaluation of a function at that x. Now I want to numerically integrate with only these two column arrays. Is this possible? Thanks for any help and assistance! Michael Salter
1 REPLY 1
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-2141978)

To integrate discrete data first fit a cubic spline. That gives you a function you can integrate. Depending on your data, you may want to transform the x data so they are roughly equally spaced before doing the spline, and then adjust the integral value at the end. See "Help", "QuickSheets", "Data Analysis", "Differentiation and Integration of Data Vectors" for more details. If you run into trouble trying this go to this forum: http://collab.mathsoft.com/~mathcad2000 It's where the real action is (this is very much a secondary forum), and unlike this forum it doesn't have ridiculously small file upload limits. If you need to post there, if possible post a worksheet with the data in it. Richard
Top Tags