cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Is there a more efficient way to add these matrices?

JC_10150691
3-Visitor

Is there a more efficient way to add these matrices?

Which operator can I use in the equations for D, E, and F that can evaluate them the same way, except more efficient than how I have it shown (i.e. takes up less space on the page than both Methods)? (Yes, it took a long time to type them out. No, I'm not proud of my work 😅).

I know I can simply define A, B, and C with more elements like I've shown in Method 2 to make D and E cleaner. But that still leaves the same expression for F in both Methods. The order of the elements in matrices D, E, or F isn't important for my application of this (it's for wind loading on roof parapets).

Thank you in advance, and my apologies if this question has already been asked, or if it's excessively elementary! My grasp of matrices/vectors has always been poor, so I didn't even know what to search for. I tried a few key words, but alas, here we are.

I'm using Prime 7.0 if that's important.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If you only have the free version of Prime 7 you cannot use the programs.

It can be done without programming

Capture.JPG

Cheers

Terry

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

Not sure if you have a full license or free version. Programming only works in the full version.

Cheers

Terry

Capture.JPG

Hi,

If you only have the free version of Prime 7 you cannot use the programs.

It can be done without programming

Capture.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Just another  range variable variant:

2021 12 16 a.png

Changing the values of A, B and C to consecutive integers shows the pattern a bit more clearly:

2021 12 16 b.png

2021 12 16 c.png

2021 12 16 d.png

It should work with different length vectors, and even with different A and B&C vector lengths:

2021 12 16 e.png

2021 12 16 f.png

I wouldn't recommend working with lengths much greater than about 30, as the memory requirements grow in proportion to length(A)*length(B)^2 ((30*30)^2=810,000).

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JC_10150691)

Your method 2 has errors with respect to method 1, did you see that the results are different, because you did not define the new arrays A, B and C in the order that you (apparently) want to use them according method 1?

Anyway, Terry has shown a method that involves, requires, programming. If you are on Prime express that will not work.

Here's a couple of functions that do work, also in express:

LucMeekes_0-1639655083489.png

And they (should) work with array sizes up to 2000 elements.

Success!
Luc

Another method that works (even in Express), done in Prime 4.0

Thank you all! I'm well on my way to finishing these blasted calcs, thanks to you all. Cheers!

Top Tags